Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frustrated would be an understatement.

2 years ago my rear view mirror just dropped off. It’s hot in Texas and the windshield in the sun can heat up so I figured that was it.

2 years and 3 try’s later, yesterday it dropped off. This time it lasted almost a year before falling off.

So now I’m faced with using the auto parts store glue yet again to glue the %^& back in place and see if it will last. No, the truck doesn’t go into a garage. No, I can’t always turn it away from the sun. Sunshades don’t work as they fit around the mirror and don’t stop the glass from heating up. So I need something that will work and not destroy the windshield.

Otherwise, I’ll try the regular glue again. (PS.. gorilla glue doesn’t work either.. been there and tried that)

Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Frustrated would be an understatement.

2 years ago my rear view mirror just dropped off. It’s hot in Texas and the windshield in the sun can heat up so I figured that was it.

2 years and 3 try’s later, yesterday it dropped off. This time it lasted almost a year before falling off.

So now I’m faced with using the auto parts store glue yet again to glue the %^& back in place and see if it will last. No, the truck doesn’t go into a garage. No, I can’t always turn it away from the sun. Sunshades don’t work as they fit around the mirror and don’t stop the glass from heating up. So I need something that will work and not destroy the windshield.

Otherwise, I’ll try the regular glue again. (PS.. gorilla glue doesn’t work either.. been there and tried that)

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Same thing happened with my wife’s Terrain, it’s just that plastic and glass aren’t the best things to adhere to one another. I had to redo hers every three years and would try different automotive glass compounds. I could never get it to be permanent, best of luck to you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the glass replacement guys do it, we drank a 12 pk and he called it even. Same problems in my wife’s Lexus, just about every 6 months. Just call up a replacement windshield place and ask them how much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts