21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
2.5 hrs by yourself? Congrats!

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Yeah that's pretty good man.. Me and my hired man took one out a month ago or so and took us probably 6 hrs together.. Was our first time though so...

·
Registered
28 Posts
LLY Turbo Tear Down Video Link

Here is a link to a video of the tear down of my Turbo: LLY Duramax Turbo Teardown

It is pretty much all the pictures I took, no video, during the tear down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Turbo

There was a thread a long time ago that had a website that rebuilt stock turbos with lighter/stronger wheels and machined the inlet and outlet side. I remember the price was decent as long as you sent your core in. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I wish I could remember the website.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's been about a year since I rebuilt my turbo

Just a little update, it's been about a year since I rebuilt my turbo and I feel as though my turbo is running smoother, and stronger, builds boost faster, and has more power then when I got it almost three years ago with 280k miles. I still haven't put on that many miles since the rebuild, maybe 7-10k. I'm a little over 302k miles now, and two weeks ago did a 16 hr (about 980 miles) straight drive through the mountains at (maybe above) 75mph, with no issues.
:gearjamin
After "breaking it in", I turned up the power with my programmer to its max setting and drove about six to eight months before my transmission started slipping in 5th gear under WOT. After it slipped on me 3 or four times, I went back to the stock tune, and the transmission hasn't slipped again.:thumb

My truck is not perfect, and I drive it hard, very hard! I need to replace the fuel lines (starting to dry rot/crack), get a transmission capable of holding the power, and a few other little things. Then I'll turn the programmer up to its max setting again and drive it even harder!:sonic
I am very happy I rebuilt the turbo. I still think I should have replaced my boost solenoid while I had the turbo out, and should have waited to get help removing the turbo. Other then that, no complaints or issues so far. Will update if/when something happens, and after I have some more miles on it. Heyyaa

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just a little update, it's been about a year since I rebuilt my turbo and I feel as though my turbo is running smoother, and stronger, builds boost faster, and has more power then when I got it almost three years ago with 280k miles. I still haven't put on that many miles since the rebuild, maybe 7-10k. I'm a little over 302k miles now, and two weeks ago did a 16 hr (about 980 miles) straight drive through the mountains at (maybe above) 75mph, with no issues.
:gearjamin
After "breaking it in", I turned up the power with my programmer to its max setting and drove about six to eight months before my transmission started slipping in 5th gear under WOT. After it slipped on me 3 or four times, I went back to the stock tune, and the transmission hasn't slipped again.:thumb

My truck is not perfect, and I drive it hard, very hard! I need to replace the fuel lines (starting to dry rot/crack), get a transmission capable of holding the power, and a few other little things. Then I'll turn the programmer up to its max setting again and drive it even harder!:sonic
I am very happy I rebuilt the turbo. I still think I should have replaced my boost solenoid while I had the turbo out, and should have waited to get help removing the turbo. Other then that, no complaints or issues so far. Will update if/when something happens, and after I have some more miles on it. Heyyaa
g pop folks nice to deal with huh?!:thumb

·
Registered
75 Posts
subd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bringing this bad boy back from the dead...

So I rebuilt my turbo while it was out and rebuilding my engine due to the fact there was lots of oil blowby on compressor side and oil leaking on turbine side (runaway diesel nightmare). I have everything back together and the truck runs but wont build boost and makes a really weird sound when trying to build boost, kinda like constant compressor surge maybe? I'll prob have to get a video of it. Anyways, i'm thinking I might have indexed the vane ring backwards or something...would have to pull mine back out to double check on that but off the top of y'alls heads, do you remember if it's possible to index it backwards? therefore making the vanes open and close incorrectly....anyways not looking for a diagnosis on my end, but looking for more info on the possibility before I pull the turbo. Taking it to the dealer to have a service tech ride with me with their Tech II so I can see what the vane sensor is trying to do since none of my readers will show that PID.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts