Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am just finishing up my 3rd. set of injectors and starting wondering...
Can anyone tell me what happens to the injector tips other than getting build up on them? I was looking at my tips and wondered if I remove them and place them in an ultra sound cleaner would that work? Or do the tips actually degrade from use?
I don't think it would be much to build a pressure pump to check the spray pattern. Probably use a harbor freight porta power pump some old fuel line fittings and a valve?

Thanks Chris

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Might want to switch to the newer SAC injectors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mray, that's what I did this time, SAC00 from LDS. That was the reason for my question. I would like to save those nozzels next time around. When I removed the Bosch injectors what I saw was quite a bit of rust in the inlet of the injectors and that is what I supposed created the problem. Even though I run the Air Dog and a Cat filter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The tips degrade and wear down over time. It’s the internal ball that starts to wear them down. I saw some photos in a YouTube video some ex marine kid in Southern California put up that explained it and showed the damage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll look for that. But if it's like you say then it's another expensive tune up down the road. I am hoping that everything I have read about the SAC injectors holds true. But I know they can't prevent rust, and apparently neither can the air dog with it's water separator :-( I change all fuel filters every 8-10k).

·
Registered
51 Posts
The ship I was on when in the Navy we rebuilt/tested the injectors every year, I believe. Much different type than what our in our trucks, but someone is out there rebuilding/testing our injectors. Shouldn't be too much of a stretch to rebuild them yourself, though the tools required might not be cost beneficial.

For those interested, the engines onboard the ship were Colt-Pielstick (spelling?) V16's, twin turbo rated at 8,000 hp with a max rpm of 598. 2 main engines per shaft, two shafts. Each cylinder was a bit over 3500 cubic inches. Sipped fuel compared to the 3 steam ships and one gas turbine ship I was one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts