Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I miss the power of my old 55 chevy from my younger days so it's time to build a rod out of my duramax. It's my only transportation so is it possible to build a daily driver with 500 RWHP and if so does anyone have a recipe for success in addition to what I've already done? Purchasing an AD II then building the trans so looking for advice on what I need in the trans and what else I can do to reach the 500 RWHP? I'll take any advice I can get, surely someone out there has one already built??

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I did it for along time, trans, tune and AD....500hp all day.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^What john said. Ditch that PPE, get a reputable tuner to get you set up with an EFI live setup and you should be there :thumb

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so EFI live plus AD 2 and a bulit tranny and I'm there? Any advice on what I need for the trans? and advice on EFI tuning?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...curious what are guys running in the 1/4 at that HP?

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
At least a stage 3 trans, but if gonna be building, might as well get a better one.

You don't necessarily need a lift pump. Depends on the CP3. but it will alleviate alot of load from it.

EFI...many good tuners out there. I have never had any issues with Rob.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW luv that avatar jmax!! A set of those and ground pounder duramax is all I need...and beer of course :)

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Lowest I ran was a 12.89....but had a few 1/8 ones that were equiv to a 12.5.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Just make sure you get a DSP 5 switch when you go with EFI, so you can DD on a 400 HP tune and save the truck, then turn it up when you want to

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
efi will get you their no problems. block the egr and have it turned off with the tunes you get. and a stage 4 tranny for good measure and a ADII is all you need to be safe and run that power all day long

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I went 12.43 on just a tune, lift pump and built trans. Ran really consistent in the .60-.70 range. It dyno'd 528/1103.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Its worth spending some time looking around on here-there's a lot of info here. You have to be careful what you do at 500HP on a stock truck-you can tear stuff up fast (like hook to a trailer and try to go up a hill on DSP5...) Every vendor I have dealt with has been very good about telling you what works and what doesn’t-so find a good one and tell him what you want and they can make it happen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for all the input!! Now it's time to fork over the cash and make it happen. Oh...one more question I assume with EFI live you can get a towing tune and a hauling ass tune but will getting an economy tune really help gas milage that much? Not sure I see the need for more than two tunes if not?

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Its good to have an economy tune. So you're not runnin around on a hot race tune, and you're not stuck on a tow tune. It gives you a nice medium. i run my economy/street tune 95% of the time im driving on the street.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the input!! Now it's time to fork over the cash and make it happen. Oh...one more question I assume with EFI live you can get a towing tune and a hauling ass tune but will getting an economy tune really help gas milage that much? Not sure I see the need for more than two tunes if not?
Get a DSP5, no sense to get a DSP2 IMO.

I daily drive on my 110hp and it gets the best mileage out of all my tunes so far.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Okay I miss the power of my old 55 chevy from my younger days so it's time to build a rod out of my duramax. It's my only transportation so is it possible to build a daily driver with 500 RWHP and if so does anyone have a recipe for success in addition to what I've already done? Purchasing an AD II then building the trans so looking for advice on what I need in the trans and what else I can do to reach the 500 RWHP? I'll take any advice I can get, surely someone out there has one already built??
Hotfoot, I hit 506hp with the PPE Hot+2, and that was through the DPF and CAT. Now that I've gone to the Hot+2 Race, and done the DPF delete, it's putting out even more power.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Hotfoot, I hit 506hp with the PPE Hot+2, and that was through the DPF and CAT. Now that I've gone to the Hot+2 Race, and done the DPF delete, it's putting out even more power.
Dyno's are NOT very accurate, hitting 506hp with DPF in tact seems to be wrong. What'd it run down the track on that tune DPF in tact?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Might want to look into gauges (Boost, EGT etc.) if you do not have them already, just to be able to monitor things.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts