Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'll have some free time stuck at home I thought I would go over the Duramax in preparation for a trip to Yellowstone in July. I expect to do about 2,000 miles pulling our 10,000lb toyhauler and just want to make sure everything is in good shape before we go. For a little background I changed the factory fuel filter last summer and changed the air dog filters less than 5,000 miles ago. DIC says I have like 78% fuel filter life remaining. The trans was serviced with Transynd at 80,000 miles and still looks clear on the dipstick with no bad smell. (I had a Tahoe that would smell burnt after 15,000 miles pulling an enclosed cargo trailer and got in the habit of smelling the dipstick?) I also changed the brake fluid last summer and it has the factory pwr steer fluid cooler. Brakes are in good shape and I will change the engine oil and filter before we leave. Probably also change the both diff fluids as well.

Anything else I should look at while I have some time on my hands? There are no obvious weird sounds. I get 200-300 miles between regens. All of my temperatures and pressures are within normal ranges per the Insight monitor. Coolant level is good, air filter is good. I really don't think there is anything to worry about but I've got the time on my hands and don't want to find out these have 161,000 mi water pumps or alternators 1,000 miles into my trip!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Every 3,000 miles lube the 8 front suspension points
7,500 miles - change external transmission filter, rotate tires, torque wheel nuts (140 ft lb)
15,000 miles - rotate tires, torque wheel nuts
22,500 miles - rotate tires, torque wheel nuts
25,000 miles - change engine oil, lube front suspension, steering linkage, cables,
30,000 miles - rotate tires, torque wheel nuts
37,500 miles - rotate tires, torque wheel nuts
45,000 miles - rotate tires, torque wheel nuts
50,000 miles - change engine oil and filter, replace air filter, change trans fluid and filter
52,500 miles - rotate tires, torque wheel nuts
60,000 miles - rotate tires, torque wheel nuts
67,500 miles - rotate tires, torque wheel nuts
75,000 miles - rotate tires, torque wheel nuts, change engine oil and filter
82,500 miles - rotate tires, torque wheel nuts
100,000 miles - change engine oil and filter, transmission and transfer case fluids, trans filter,
and replace air filter
125,000 miles - change engine oil and filter, replace coolant and flush system
150K or every 5 years change coolant (whichever comes first}
Every 10 years change brake fluid
Fuel filter - change when indicated by the engine or every 2 years.
life depends upon the fuel cleanliness and use of biodiesel
ATF with TES389 as provided by the dealers change every 50,000 miles or 24 months whichever is sooner
ATF using TES295 fluid (at Allison shops) change every 150,000 miles or 48 months whichever is sooner

At 160,000 nothing is needed until 165,000 miles assuming that the lower mileage maintenance has been done up to that point. With a used truck I would change the ATF and the motor oil and oil filter to be safe and use a good quality motor oil with the rating for the engine (and not Amsoil and others oils with poor additive mixes).

·
Registered
55 Posts
have you ever cleaned the cooling stack?.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rotated the tires yesterday. I usually hit all the grease fittings in the spring so that will be done. Does anybody actually do them every 3,000 miles???

I will look at the cooling stack, thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Rotated the tires yesterday. I usually hit all the grease fittings in the spring so that will be done. Does anybody actually do them every 3,000 miles???

I grease mine at oil change 7-10 K miles.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Every 3,000 miles lube the 8 front suspension points
There are 11 grease zerks in the front end.
Ball joints x4
Inner tie rods x2
Outer tie rods x 2
Pitman arm x1
Idler arm x1
Idler support x1 (some aftermarket idler supports are sealed/not greasable)

I personally grease mine at oil change time, 3k miles seems unnecessary, but to each their own.

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
I don't see the Spin on Allison filter mentioned recently. Also the brake fluid and PS fluid should actually be flushed. Both are easy. LInks to how to in the attached thread link.

Also, the water pump is most likely coming due soon. You will notice coolant dropping very slowly but no puddle most of the time, it will be leaking out the weep hole at the bottom front.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
On 2011 and later trucks there are only 8 fittings to grease. I paid $40 for two ramps to raise the front of the truck 7 inches off the ground and a pistol grip grease gun with a 90 degree end fitting and it takes me less than 20 minutes to lube the suspension.

And yes I do it every 3,000 miles myself so I do not wait for an oil change and I know it has been done properly. At the 3,000 mile mark some of the fittings have more than half the grease gone. Two things are important to me with a truck, that I can steer it when driving down the road and that I can stop it. Front suspension failures are not something I want to experience and the grease is cheap compared to the cost of replacing the suspension parts.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The cooling stack is something like the air filter that needs attention at intervals that depend on where the truck is driven. I have a lot of farm dirt blowing around in my area and the air filter needs to be replaced every 15,000 miles. I avoid changing it more often as an air filter is least effective when new and before any loading has taken place (as with the fuel filter media).
I did find that the ACDelco filter is far better made and fits better than the Fram air filters for the LML engine.

The air stack on my 2011 has never needed attention and even when pulling a 11,000 lb trailer up a 6% grade at 8,000 ft with ambient air temperatures over 100 degrees the engine coolant and the ATF temps were well within the safe range. GM did an excellent job of providing adequate cooling for the engine and the transmission.

·
Registered
274 Posts

I too grease mine at oil changes, 10k-ish. My truck runs mostly up and down the highway, usually with pretty good loads half the time, empty half the time. Ball joints need the most attention, steering components not as much, remember most of the time I'm going straight down the highway. A little trick I do if I just want to hit the ball joints is to pull the front tires up on a pair of short pieces of 2X's then you can cut the wheels in place to hit the lower ball joints without scrubbing the tires on concrete or crawling under the truck.
At 300k miles, my original front end is still tight. Last time I had it in the alignment shop, they didn't even want to replace anything, amazing!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Interesting what you said about the water pump and losing coolant. I lose about a cup of coolant every 5-7k miles and the shop cannot find a leak anywhere. They have pressure tested it 2 times. I have 180k Mike’s on the truck. I guess I need to get the water pump done. Is there a timing belt or chain that needs to be done on these trucks too? These repairs are beyond me so it will go to the shop to be done. Should I have them replace all the belts when doing the pump too???

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you do the water pump.I would change the belt,idler pulleys.upper and lower radiator hoses and thermostats.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I add a little water/coolant at each oil change, probably about the amount you mentioned. I have a seep at the water neck. The coolant seeps down in the center of the engine then mostly evaporates. You can faintly smell it sometimes but never see a drip anywhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since I'll have some free time stuck at home I thought I would go over the Duramax in preparation for a trip to Yellowstone in July. I expect to do about 2,000 miles pulling our 10,000lb toyhauler and just want to make sure everything is in good shape before we go. For a little background I changed the factory fuel filter last summer and changed the air dog filters less than 5,000 miles ago. DIC says I have like 78% fuel filter life remaining. The trans was serviced with Transynd at 80,000 miles and still looks clear on the dipstick with no bad smell. (I had a Tahoe that would smell burnt after 15,000 miles pulling an enclosed cargo trailer and got in the habit of smelling the dipstick?) I also changed the brake fluid last summer and it has the factory pwr steer fluid cooler. Brakes are in good shape and I will change the engine oil and filter before we leave. Probably also change the both diff fluids as well.

Anything else I should look at while I have some time on my hands? There are no obvious weird sounds. I get 200-300 miles between regens. All of my temperatures and pressures are within normal ranges per the Insight monitor. Coolant level is good, air filter is good. I really don't think there is anything to worry about but I've got the time on my hands and don't want to find out these have 161,000 mi water pumps or alternators 1,000 miles into my trip!

Thanks!
I know it is not cheap but you should change all your coolant hoses mishimoto hoses life time warranty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts