Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the smoked recon cab lights today.

I am not sure whether i like them or not!

They don't sit down on the cab like the factory ones did. There is a small gap about 1/8" to 3/16". I used the recon hardware and I am just not happy with the way they look up close with gap. I am not certain i like the middle light bar either. I kind of like the 5 light look despite there only being three lights if that makes since.

Maybe i didn't install them right but, i don't want to over tighten the screws.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Do you have any pictures?

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i will take some tomorrow when it is daylight

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes mine had the factory lights. I didn't try them with the factory hardware....maybe i'll try that tomorrow

·
Registered
123 Posts
When i put mine one i had a gap also not on the end too lights just the middle. I used the factory screws i tried cranking on the screws but the gap was still there. I ended up using some gasket sealer on the middle to fill the gap. I kinda was disappointed that it wasn't flush but they look good and the last thing you need is water to get under there.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I put the oem NBS lights on my truck, Before that i installed the recons, they didnt fit great and they leaked, recon sells dogshit in a box..

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
After reading many threads just like this I went with Pacers. Seem to be an awesome quality kit, I didnt use any kind of silicone and have not had a leak yet, and its been through thunderstorms and the car wash many times.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I just installed mine about a week ago. First trip through the carwash I got back in truck and my overhead console was dripping water. Guess I better get some silicone or something.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The other thing i don't really like about them is the two outer lights have 3 leds the middle lights has 6 evenly spaced leds. the lights don't look uniform and look mismatched because middle doesn't match the end lights. oh well!

these pictures aren't very good but you can see the gaps.

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am thinking of getting out the dremel tool and sanding some of the plastic off until they sit flush.

Also, Gm used some type of adhesive on the factory lights, anybody know what it was?

I am thinking about getting some RTV and putting a tin coat on the lights base once i get them sitting flush on the cab.

·
Registered
156 Posts
id make sure u put some silicone around them, mine leaked

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I just ordered some for my 02..... Mine has some ghetto looking tractor supply cab lights on it that dont leak so these have to be made better than them..... Im gonna use some serious weatherstrip adhesive and RTV on mine from the start. Hopefully I can keep them from leaking.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
thanks for posting this... I may hold off on getting these

·
Premium Member
04.5 Chevrolet 2500hd Ccsb
226 Posts
i was going to get a set but after talking to a buddy of mine who said he used a full tube of caulk and no seeing this im not getting them from recon.who else carries good cab lights?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Anyone get the LED 3rd tail light from recon and if so was there fitment issues?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts