Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally ordered cab lights the other day. Something my truck has been needing since i bought it. I got the recon smoked ones, and the wireing harness. Lookin for some advice on installing these on a truck that didnt come with then from the factory. Seems pretty straight forward i just dont wanna mess it up. I handled welding on new rocker panels amd cab corners im pretty sure i can handle this lol

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Seal the living crap out of them... I've seen tons of threads with wet headliners from massive leaks. So seal it properly and make sure it dries.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Yeah, use the hell out of RTV silicone sealant.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
X2 ^^. also when i installed mine i layered the top with tape and sat them up there and measured ALOT, and some more measuring, and then marked and drilled. Good luck, measure twice, drill once :thumb

·
Do work!
2,234 Posts
Measure twice, drill once. Its really easy honestly. Just take your time and do a good job measuring and marking where you want the lights and its a breeze. Just make sure to drop the front of the head liner down before you drill, or you will have a hole in it, I will guarantee you that lol

Also, have a tube or silicon around and put a little on the screws, like stated above

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had the smoked recons on my '08 1500. Was sketched out during the measurements and drilling process but turned out spot on. I never had a leak, and that's because I silicones the crap out of everything. When the holes were drilled I silicones around the big one and put a big ole dab on the screw holes. I didn't stop there, after installation of the lights I ran a smooth bead around the lights as well. Looked high speed. Good luck! And remember if you are questioning putting silicone in a certain spot, just do it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Its really not to bad, a buddy of mine and I just installed the anzo ones on mine. Like all said before measure ALOT!! I measures like 10 times before i drilled. Also i waxed the top before i mounted them, since you wont be able to ever again. Put some painters tape down where the lights will go before you mark or drill anything, easier to see marks, and keeps paint from chipping when you drill. And use silicone with EVERY hole. The screws come with washers, use them and silicone and water wont be an issue. I also didnt tap into any wires under the dash, i used an fuse tap on the parking lot light fuse under the hood. The directions recon has on their website are pretty good. Post some pics when your done!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So pretty much just make sure my measurements are dead on before drilling lol how do i get the measurements tho? Just what looks good or measure off a truck that has factory lights or what?

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is a video I used off of YouTube. "Recon Cab light installation". You can also get the stock measurements from a dealer, as recons are just replacements.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So pretty much just make sure my measurements are dead on before drilling lol how do i get the measurements tho? Just what looks good or measure off a truck that has factory lights or what?
Recon has the instructions on their website including their measurements. I used that and i think it turned out pretty damn well

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks ill check out recons website and the youtube video. Theyre supposed to be here today so hopefully by end of week ill post some pics up.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,698 Posts
with all the talk ive read about sealing issues with Recons,

how are they different than the OEM's?

essentially if they are the same concept wouldnt they have the same potential issue?

or are they chosen over aftermarket due to their color and non LED (iirc)

i would like to install a set myself personally so that is why i ask!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
with all the talk ive read about sealing issues with Recons,

how are they different than the OEM's?

essentially if they are the same concept wouldnt they have the same potential issue?

or are they chosen over aftermarket due to their color and non LED (iirc)

i would like to install a set myself personally so that is why i ask!!
As with all "cheap" aftermarket mods, they are never spot on. if they are just a tad off vs the curve of the roof, that would allow water in. Personally i think recons look better than oem. You can never use too much sealant, seal em up good and youll be fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
pics when done

·
Registered
620 Posts
In that thread that was linked is by far the best how to.. he has the measurements, where to measure from, very detailed. Stick with that an you can't go wrong

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i got them done and everything came out good! So far no leaks lol only thing is they reflect on the hood at certain angles but im not too worried about that. Heres a pic. Def something the truck needed. Along with the tow mirrors, raptor liner, etc lol

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Day time pic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Hell yea looks sweet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts