Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 20K miles ago I swapped out my failed OEM Steering box for a RedHead unit. Out of the gate I was extremely happen, Steering was precise, and way nicer to drive. Overtime it got looser, and looser... etc.

At this point in time, its now worse than the OEM unit I took out, having about a 1 / 1.5" dead spot in the steering wheel. When I have my wife rotate the wheel back and forth, all the play is very clearly INSIDE the box. (Input turns, pit-man doesn't move)

Redhead only has a 12 month warranty, which am way past at this point (April 2016 is when I installed it)

At this moment I see two options:
1) Try and adjust the pre-tensioner to get some play out.
2) Buy another reman.

Has anyone on here used this box? What kind of life have you gotten out of it? My truck is stock suspension / tire wise.

Any recommendations on a reman?

Pretty pissed off given the price and life of this unit....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Can't help much on your question, but also interested in other solutions. I have put 2 remanufactured boxes from napa, each being worse then original. Was thinking of just doing a redhead, but then get these stories. With it being such a popular platform, how has nobody came up with a solution. No new boxes are even available, being OEM or aftermarket. Why? All seem to have worn out sector shafts getting resealed and reboxed regardless of where they are purchased.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Red Head

I put a Read Head box on my old 77 F250 about 6 years ago. The first box was tight on center - too tight. I sent it back and got another one. Second one has been fine. I think they hand select parts to some degree for fit. I know this is a different 'box, but it sounds like some similar issues. The rebuilt boxes I got from others sources all had sector shaft issues. At least on the Ford box from Red head, the stock sector shaft lower bushing was deleted and they machined the housing for a needle bearing setup. If you haven't already called them I'd ask if they will give you a break on another unit. I've never looked at a GMC box, but can you tell if the play is in the sector or shaft bushing? Most 'boxes have an adjustment for sector preload. If it's like my old Ford box you need to go easy on that and make sure it goes past center both ways without binding, (wheels off the ground check etc.), You can ruin the box if you preload too much.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bluetop here also - about 40k on mine. Zero seepage and showroom tight. Forget owners name, but great guy to deal with - he used to work at Redhead.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
About 20K miles ago I swapped out my failed OEM Steering box for a RedHead unit. Out of the gate I was extremely happen, Steering was precise, and way nicer to drive. Overtime it got looser, and looser... etc.

Pretty pissed off given the price and life of this unit....
I know im a little late to the party here, but ive had mine for a few years and it still has no play in it. Im quite pleased with mine, i would buy another in a heart beat to replace it if / when it fails.

i have heard good things about the blue tops mentioned by other users as well, if you are looking for a non dorman unit thats not painted red. (dont use the dorman unit.... just dont do it.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need to replace mine too, thinking about going with redhead but might just go OEM and not take chance...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got lucky with a Redhead steering box on my 95, It leaked the second I added fluid. Cross threaded fitting from the factory.
They made me pay shipping back to them before they would issue me a refund.

·
Premium Member
9,735 Posts
Might check out PSC steering boxes also, brand new extreme duty box from XDP $660 and free shipping, no core. Just installed one on the 01 and believe me it's a heavy duty box, haven't got to drive it on the highway yet to give any reviews on that but I can now turn my wheels while sitting still with one finger.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I hate my redhead...when i got it, wouldn't return to straight, was over a 1/4 turn past their paint mark to tight on adjustment, called and got the ok to change it, ended up just looser then the mark, was fine for a little bit “20k” then started getting looser and looser. Input moves.........then output. Put a gm reman in another truck the same weekend and not one issue, btw his truck has 35”s and mine is stock. Seemed like a good idea but never again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts