Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I’ve never posted a question on a forum before, I’m in a screwed up situation. I was going down hill on i80 East into Reno in my 2017 3500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel High Country DRW. I was pulling my 3 car trailer loaded with 3 units on it. I turned my exhaust brake on and pressed on the brake, the exhaust brake came on and RPM’s went up to about 3000, I took my foot off the brake pedal and continued down hill, my speed was slowly increasing so I put my foot back on the brake pedal, the Exhaust Brake went into the next stronger level, my RPM’s raised higher to 4000, then about 2 seconds later the Check Engine Light came on and a message came up in the little display, ( Reduced Engine Power ) then that message disappeared, another message came up, I don’t remember exactly what it said something like, ( Engine Cleaning Exhaust System Must Continue Driving ) pressed the brake pedal to slow down so my RPM’s would drop down. After that, the first message about Reduced Engine Power came back on and stayed on. Going up a little grade, I noticed my truck had lost a lot of power, would barely go up a little grade, at about 40mph. On the level freeway it’ll continue increasing speed no problem, but any little grade, and it’ll start to drop speed. Then slowly increases as the road levels out. Check Engine light stayed on after that, the Reduced Engine Power message would disappear sometimes and the Engine Cleaning Exhaust System Must Continue Driving would come up, as if both messages are connected with what’s going on with the truck. Can someone with some knowledge help me out please. Give me some advice on what I can do myself, or if I have to take it in. I really hate taking my truck to the shop. I have a hard time trusting repair shops, I’ve been screwed over a few times. Any advice that will help please, I’m supposed to take another load down on Monday, and I don’t know if it’s a good idea driving my truck with the Check Engine Light on and in this condition. Thank you everyone for and help. I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
How many miles on your truck? Do you use any additives in your fuel?

It's possible your dpf is fully clogged or your 9th injector may not be working. There is also a recall for L5p engines to recalibrate ecm for regen problems.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Read what codes are stored

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It's possible your dpf is fully clogged or your 9th injector may not be working. There is also a recall for L5p engines to recalibrate ecm for regen problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My truck just hit 90,000 miles. I haven’t ever added any additives to the truck. I try to use the best fluids that Duramax requires, what I mean is, I just got my oil changed and I always use the Fully Synthetic Mobile Delvac 5W-40, with the AC Delco Oil Filter, I change the fuel filter with every oil change, I use Peak DEF fluid. Maybe I should start buying AC Delco DEF. Your absolutely right on the recall, when I got my oil changed on Thursday, the Chevrolet Dealership printed me the paperwork of all the past services and work they was ever done on my truck, and it included a list of recalls on it. It said something about there being a open recall on the DEF exhaust system or something like that. I have the paperwork in my truck. If that’s the case then maybe I should take it in and let them take a look at it. You think that would be a good idea budd?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Don't know for sure, but if you don't have the diagnostic equipment it's really hard to tell for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts