Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Chevy 3/4 ton duramax with American Racing 20's on it and the chrome is peeling. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on what to do to fix the problem. I like the wheels but don't know if I can get them sandblasted and re-chromed or powdercoated black.. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Is the chrome peeling or are they clear coated and the clear coat is peeling? Either way you could scuff them with some scotch brite and spray them with black rustoleum. Theres a few people on here that have done that and it looks good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are peeling all the way down to bare rim, which is now in turn quite corroded.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have them Powder coated. Might be more money but will look better for years to come. I had some curb rash on my SRT-10 and I had them powder coated... all the curb rash is gone and they look bad A$$.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I priced getting my Jeep's rims rechromed and they wanted $250 each. Black spray paint = $3, but powder coat will last a long time.

·
Registered
686 Posts
gonna go get my new rhino rims powdercoated next week , and i think they have chrome powder to..lol

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
yep there is powdercoat from chrome....I was about 5 seconds away from starting my own powdercoating business...then i got deployed.

but one thing people don't realize is the chrome isn't quite the same as true chroming process in the way it looks....it just doesn't seem as deep...the finish that is.

It still does look good though, plus the less maintenance in cleaning polishing is nice too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts