Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking around for a shop to regear my truck in southern california. Going with 4.56 gears and currently running 38" tires. Im in the North County San Diego area. I've tried offroad warehouse and 4 wheel parts but they are at $2k for installation and oil only. I am providing parts.

Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
You may find that when shops do "labor only" jobs, their labor is 100% book rate...

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I assume you are 4WD and they are installing 2 ring and pinions plus other needed parts?

·
Registered
2007 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ 6sp
156 Posts
Also installing gears in a truck is mainly labor in general. The gears are cheap the posi or limited slip or locker are the expensive parts plus the labor. So you could try calling a shop and just asking what they would
Charge to do it all and then mention you have your own gears and see what they say. Now I don’t know if I would trust 4wheel parts to gear my truck. Give mike at Inglewood transmission and see who they suggest. They should be able
To at least point you in a good direction.

·
Finally! Wheels on!
10,165 Posts
I learned my lesson years ago with 4wd parts. Stay away from any shop that doesn’t specialize or have someone who specializes in diff set up.

Cheap is not cheap if just after the 90 day warranty is up the bearings grenade from a bad setUp.

In the case of diffs, pay what it takes to get it done right the first time. Ask to see photos of the drive/coast patterns when they set it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Back when I was doing gear installs I chared $450. per axle labor plus parts. When I did my new Dually rear end to 4.10 I called a couple of shops I used to work with to gauge whether I wanted to do it myself or give it to them. I did it myself at a buddy's shop because they were 680$ -1200$ in labor now.

Reactions: SlayerMarquez
1 - 7 of 7 Posts