Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any indication available that tells when a regen cycle is needed or in progress ? I sometimes park in areas with dry grass and am concerned that the heat generated during regen might ignite grass.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, your fuel economy will plummet! My Edge w/Attitude shows when I'm in Regen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unless you have an Edge programmer, you won't know, sometimes you can see your mileage plummit while on the highway during regen and maybe assume it is in progress.

Also, read your owners manual, it states, don't park over high grass, as fire may happen. Which I would guess, means, the exhaust is always hot enough to set grass touching the exhaust on fire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is no indicator showing if you are in regeneration mode on the pickup truck version Duramax. If a regen is in progress, it may continue while parked. If it needs to be initiated while extended parking, a message will show up on the DIC (it will not initiate if it is not already in progress while in park). You need to drive greater that 30 mpg for about 20 minutes. The owners manual explains this on pages 12, 23-24, 48 (for PTO operation). It states not to park over anything flamable. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is no indicator showing if you are in regeneration mode on the pickup truck version Duramax. If a regen is in progress, it may continue while parked. If it needs to be initiated while extended parking, a message will show up on the DIC (it will not initiate if it is not already in progress while in park). You need to drive greater that 30 mpg for about 20 minutes. The owners manual explains this on pages 12, 23-24, 48 (for PTO operation). It states not to park over anything flamable. Hope this helps.
Aw come on...get your facts straight!
An active regen will only take place while the vehicle is moving greater than 30 mph and will be stopped if the vehicle comes to a stop. The only indication that the vehicle was in regen will be a higher than normal idle speed (800 rpm)
If you do not drive the vehicle in the operating conditions for the ecm to initiate a regen, a message will come up on your DIC telling you to Clean Exhaust Filter. If you disregard the message, after a while your truck will go into reduced power mode and then the only thing you can do is go to the dealer to have a service regen done.
Like any vehicle, if you read the owners manual, it will tell you not to park over combustible materials.

·
Registered
79 Posts
An active regen will only take place while the vehicle is moving greater than 30 mph and will be stopped if the vehicle comes to a stop. The only indication that the vehicle was in regen will be a higher than normal idle speed (800 rpm)
If you do not drive the vehicle in the operating conditions for the ecm to initiate a regen, a message will come up on your DIC telling you to Clean Exhaust Filter. If you disregard the message, after a while your truck will go into reduced power mode and then the only thing you can do is go to the dealer to have a service regen done.
Like any vehicle, if you read the owners manual, it will tell you not to park over combustible materials.
My truck goes into regen mode while idling, driving above or below 30mph or any other time it thinks it's time to. The time it stays in regen mode will depend on whether or not I'm idling or driving and how fast..

·
Registered
15 Posts
prove it!
I have watched closely scan tool information ( lets just say I have acess to some pretty cool tools) on the LMM and have never seen one go into regen under 30 unless I have commanded one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
prove it!
I have watched closely scan tool information ( lets just say I have acess to some pretty cool tools) on the LMM and have never seen one go into regen under 30 unless I have commanded one.
How would I prove it? My Edge Attitude has a setting that tells me whenever is goes into regen mode. I even have it set to sound an alarm so I know. That, and watching my mpgs drop is all the proof I need. Feel free to go for a ride with me any time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what is it baseing that information on ? EGT's or the fact that the ECM is commanding a regen.
Most likely EGTs and if that is the case, your edge is dumping enough fuel into the exhaust to raise the EGT of sensor 1 high enough to create a passive regeneration not an active regeneration.

·
Registered
79 Posts
what is it baseing that information on ? EGT's or the fact that the ECM is commanding a regen.
Most likely EGTs and if that is the case, your edge is dumping enough fuel into the exhaust to raise the EGT of sensor 1 high enough to create a passive regeneration not an active regeneration.

The Edge does not read EGT's unless you have the pyro installed, which I haven't gotten around to yet I'm sad to say. It reads the regen directly ECM as far as I know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So does this mean that you really don't need to worry about regen mode unless the DIC has a message saying to Clean Exhaust Filter? I have 500 miles on my truck and have no clue if it's gone into regen mode. Never seen a message. I don't drive very much highway so my gas mileage always sucks, lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No I wouldn't worry. If you see the message, just follow the owners manual and drive the truck over 30 and for 20-30 minutes and it will regen.
Pretty much regen is transparent and you really won't know if it is happening. Many people say you can watch your fuel mileage drop while this is happening, but I don't worry about it.
If the Clean Exhuast filter message comes up and you ignore it, the truck will eventually go into reduced power, set a code and then you will have to take it into the dealer to have them do a Service Regen.

Remember one thing about all this new technology and the internet. Don't believe everything you read, there are alot of so called "experts" and people "who know people that know".
Just follow the information in your owners manual and call it good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.