Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a reason why my regen comes on at least 3 times per tank. It use to come on about once or twice tops. I just put about 5000 miles on it in the last 3 weeks and have noticed more. I have my Edge alert me when it comes on. Any help would be helpful.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it could be that the edge is clogging the dpf
I've had the Edge on since 7000 miles and the truck now has 76000 miles on it. The dpf is coming off in the next month or two, I'm tired of it sucking my diesel!

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
yes with the extra soot..it could be clogging the DPF and making it regen more

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
It does sound like your DPF is getting plugged up. If you plan on removing it then you will be OK. 76k is alot for a DPF with tuning added. You coul dalso try to force a couple regens right in a row and see if that burns the soot out of it.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Is there a reason why my regen comes on at least 3 times per tank.
There is some VERY bad tuning available for your truck. There is no attempt to limit unspent emissions very often, and this will rapidly load up the DPF. In addition, it is easy to inadvertently change parameters that does harm to the regen efficiency. I can't comment on a specific manufacturer.

There is tuning available that doesn't do this so much, but since it takes a lot of time to develop, availability is limited to individuals that are interested in more than just neck snapping first impressions.

It is also possible that you are beginning to see the signs of DPF contamination. The other reality is that if you do a lot of short commutes (never gets hot), with stopping, you are screwed.

Monitor EGT1, if it is not getting over 1200F, then you have a tuning issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does sound like your DPF is getting plugged up. If you plan on removing it then you will be OK. 76k is alot for a DPF with tuning added. You coul dalso try to force a couple regens right in a row and see if that burns the soot out of it.
I'm sorry for asking a stupid question, but how do you force it to regen so often?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
There is some VERY bad tuning available for your truck. There is no attempt to limit unspent emissions very often, and this will rapidly load up the DPF. In addition, it is easy to inadvertently change parameters that does harm to the regen efficiency. I can't comment on a specific manufacturer.

There is tuning available that doesn't do this so much, but since it takes a lot of time to develop, availability is limited to individuals that are interested in more than just neck snapping first impressions.

It is also possible that you are beginning to see the signs of DPF contamination. The other reality is that if you do a lot of short commutes (never gets hot), with stopping, you are screwed.

Monitor EGT1, if it is not getting over 1200F, then you have a tuning issue.
Would I be better off just getting rid of the dpf now? What set-up would you recommend? Also I find that my "clean exhaust filter" comes on more now. I do 70% highway and 30% city. Thanks again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just ranting but it pisses me of that my rig goes into regen in the last 1/4 tank of fuel. It goes from 1/4 tank left to "ding ding, you need fuel" very quickly. Is there a reason it choses to do this?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I'm sorry for asking a stupid question, but how do you force it to regen so often?
You can't (as far as I know), without special equipment.

The dpf regenerates when it is specifically sooted to about 65g, and stops when that soot is reduced to around 8g. A force regen can't get rid of something that has already been removed.

BTW, there is some evidence that blocking the egr reduces economy with more frequent regens. EGR is inactive during the regen however. There is a LOT of exhaust recirculation during low load cruise, meaning less unspent emissions.

Dirty tuning will add further to the problem.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
When I had the quad programmer it had an option to force a Regen. I do not know if edge has the same but I know my quad did

·
Registered
470 Posts
Also I find that my "clean exhaust filter" comes on more now.
Didn't realize your DIC said this in regen,I have a 09 LMM & as far as i know it doesn't say this in regen...Am i missing something? Or is it the programmer telling you this

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
It only says that when the truck needs to regen and is unable to, like if you're idling while the truck wants to regen.

What Edge tuner do you have? The Evolution race, or non-race, or juice with attitude? Only the Evolution Race can get rid of the DPF, otherwise you'll need a new tuner along with your new exhaust.

Let me know if I can help you out, we sell tons of DPF delete kits, and I'd be happy to set you up with one if you'd like!

-Jesse

·
Registered
218 Posts
very stupid, but i dont think mine regen. what does it sound like. i also don't have a dpf. but do you know when it regens??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It only says that when the truck needs to regen and is unable to, like if you're idling while the truck wants to regen.

What Edge tuner do you have? The Evolution race, or non-race, or juice with attitude? Only the Evolution Race can get rid of the DPF, otherwise you'll need a new tuner along with your new exhaust.

Let me know if I can help you out, we sell tons of DPF delete kits, and I'd be happy to set you up with one if you'd like!

-Jesse
It's the juice with attitude. I was told today that I can still use my current Edge when I do the dpf delete. He told me that EFI live will remove the regen and just remove the dpf with new pipes. Is this true?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts