Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to get my Kodiak insured, but all companies that I tried want to insure it on commercial policy. Anyone out there that has insured their's as a private/recreational vehicle. What insurance company did you use?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Did you try Progressive?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I ran into this many years ago. Ran across a sweet Monroe Air conversion for sale, decked out with all the goodies, low miles, and priced lower than a comparable HD.

Comfy air ride Seats to die for

But your personal Insurance Agent doesn't have a spot to write it in. Their class coverage ends at the 3500....PICKUP.
Put a flat bed on that DRW, and they won't cover it either.

You could try and add conversions goodies to it (cold food storage, stove/microwave, sink/plumbing....stuff that's considered RV) Apply to change the registration to a Motor Home RV...and seek a policy for that.

Without doing that ^, You can find a Farm based Comm insurance on it, for a reasonable price, comparable to a personal policy on say a 2500/3500 HD. The RV class price probably wouldn't differ much if any.

Warning about the Prog folks; they are data mining hoes that sell your personal info to any and all highest bidders. Beware.
They're also not the bargain $$ they once were.

Not sure on your intended use but,....Know also, as you venture down the Kodiak path. Because of it's higher GVWR, if you hook a trailer on it that exceeds 10k lbs GVW, you'll need a CDL-A to be legal.
Of course, 5ers attached, tend to be ignored.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I ran into this many years ago. Ran across a sweet Monroe Air conversion for sale, decked out with all the goodies, low miles, and priced lower than a comparable HD.

Comfy air ride Seats to die for

But your personal Insurance Agent doesn't have a spot to write it in. Their class coverage ends at the 3500....PICKUP.
Put a flat bed on that DRW, and they won't cover it either.

You could try and add conversions goodies to it (cold food storage, stove/microwave, sink/plumbing....stuff that's considered RV) Apply to change the registration to a Motor Home RV...and seek a policy for that.

Without doing that ^, You can find a Farm based Comm insurance on it, for a reasonable price, comparable to a personal policy on say a 2500/3500 HD. The RV class price probably wouldn't differ much if any.

Warning about the Prog folks; they are data mining hoes that sell your personal info to any and all highest bidders. Beware.
They're also not the bargain $$ they once were.

Not sure on your intended use but,....Know also, as you venture down the Kodiak path. Because of it's higher GVWR, if you hook a trailer on it that exceeds 10k lbs GVW, you'll need a CDL-A to be legal.
Of course, 5ers attached, tend to be ignored.
Just for funsies, what kind of mileage does that get towing a 5er? I have a friend with an F550 tow truck with a 5.9 Cummins in it that gets 15-17 mpg with my truck on the back from Billings to Boise. I know because I paid for the fuel and did half the driving. That isn't exactly towing a 5er but still, I was pretty impressed considering my 1995 K2500 with a 454 only gets 11 empty and 7 towing.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Just for funsies, what kind of mileage does that get towing a 5er?
They report to get about the same as the HD Diesel or gasser does.
Empty, not so much. But you won't win any races with it.

But the room inside. :smile2: If you're sitting in the back seat and you want to pass a beverage forward to the front, you'll have to come up out of the seat to reach that far.
Cavernous inside, but a candidate for some sound deadening for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hook'em - I really like that truck you have in the photos.

I need to find something like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts