Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on being in the market for a diesel in the future and am trying to figure out what would be my best option when it comes to duramaxes. I would like to know which of these is cheapest to maintain, most reliable, and easiest to work on. I’m not in the financial position to be pouring more money into a truck just to keep it running. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
446 Posts
LBZ is often the coveted one. I love my LMM though and have had zero problems other than glow plugs.
NONE are cheap to maintain. None are easy to work on (well, depending and comparatively to a gasser)...and LB7 injectors are $$$ so if go this route, get proof they were replaced in recent history. I had an LB7 and loved it but it had a new set of injectors prior to purchase.

·
Registered
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Banks Super Scoop, Banks Rear Dif Cover, Mechman 320A alternator, S&B fuel tank
119 Posts
Something to factor in is that it was common at one point (although still very much illegal) for people to remove the emission equipment from the later engines with reliability as a stated reason.
The EPA has really cracked down on that and you should never break Federal law by tampering with emissions equipment.
The earlier LB7s never had EGR or even cats depending on the year.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
I agree, stock LBZ, doesn’t get much better. An LMM is basically an LBZ with a DPF in the exhaust. Other than injector issues, an LB7 would be next on my list. Some people have good luck with LLYs but most seem to be problematic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had my 07 LBZ for 14 years. The only thing it needed was #7 glow plug replaced. Aside from routine maintenance. It never let me down once. I sold it in Jan 2021 and bought a 19 dually. I really miss that truck.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Guilty as charged....
Sooooo many updates/mods planned for mine but not enough money to do them. I am actually, legitimately, hoping that this is one of the last trucks that I own before I retire and I am 44. What I REALLY need is a clean ecsb frame. I think I can save mine but I’m a touch concerned that i might not be able to.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am pretty on the fence with my LMM as to if i'll keep forever. Just need to do the PCV reroute and thing is a clean 200k mile texas truck. I plan run this one 10 years but..... every time i catch a look at a nice 17 or 18.....makes me question it. I'd love my LMM in a 2018 ha.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
918 Posts
The LBZ would probably be your best bet. They all are reliable with the right maintenance. Even the LB7 can be made to be pretty reliable with the right parts. And just as a FYI don’t shy away from a 2006 listed as LLY because its the same as the LBZ just tuned slightly different.

Reactions: BoiseRob

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
I am pretty on the fence with my LMM as to if i'll keep forever. Just need to do the PCV reroute and thing is a clean 200k mile texas truck. I plan run this one 10 years but..... every time i catch a look at a nice 17 or 18.....makes me question it. I'd love my LMM in a 2018 ha.
If I lived in an area where the roads didn’t get salted for 5-6 months out of the year, so my vehicles didn’t rot, I’d be in heaven. Almost every vehicle that I’ve sold off was because it was rotting away with rust.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No major issues with my LLY at 170k miles. I never thought this would happen but I'm kicking around the idea of selling it. I want to get away from pulling a trailer every day and I think I could sell the LLY and get a newer longbed utility truck and fit damn near everything that's on the trailer in the utility bed.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The lbz is going to be the most reliable, especially if your towing with it. They have a much better cooling system than the older models.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Over 348k on my stock LBZ and still kicking arse daily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
111K miles on our 05 LLY and can't see how it could run better. Only drive it for our 6 month winter trips and have over killed all maintenance. Just changed the diff fluid for the 13th time . all fluids get changed as the chev here does one thing or more every summer. I have changed most of the times in my garage but at 80 it is time for me to paid for the work. chevman or labarn at times

1 - 16 of 16 Posts