Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How safe are the lbz pistons as far as all the mods i have. i dont drive the piss out of it. But i like to have a little fun once and a while....who doesnt... but i am wanting to go all out in the future twins, dual fuelers, etc. But my question is when is it needed to replace the pistons, when the egt's and boost get really high? all input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both actually

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so when i look up at the egt gauge and see damn near 1500+ i should freak....not like im holding it there but i have seen it some situations

·
Registered
877 Posts
dont know what to tell you.cracked my factory one with 110hp tune at idle,so i replaced them with so-cal ceramic coated cut pistons and just blew a hole in the so im not reppin to high for so-cal right now i even had to pay for 1 piston.stock tranny,stock injectors,stock cp3,@ 2300-2400 pulse with.sure shouldnt have blown a hole in it there.the hole wasnt even in the spray pattern.

·
Registered
877 Posts
wouldnt run at that temp very long no more than acouple of seconds.i think egt's and cylender pressure are the causes of a cracked piston.i think twins would be safer than dual fuelers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow......thats my main issue i want to make it bullet proof so i can go crazy. but ive heard of people running mahle pistons and rods and produce solid horse power. i just dont wanna be showing my ass one day and end up with cracked pistons.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
both egts and high hp...but gotta go feed my baby..thanks for the input..

·
Registered
877 Posts
yeah so-cal buys mahle pistons then cuts them to the correct compression,so i dont know who to be pissed at.i mean i thought with no more than i had done to my truck i would never have to worry about the so-cal pistons but i think there was a void just under the ceramic coating that just gave way,and then it melted through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts