Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So its 36F here in the mountains, where im at. And I wanted to see what would happen, since ive been concerned about this. But, Ive checked 2 different times on cold days. Where, when i put in keys to start truck the "WAIT TO START" lights up (and i wait till light is off) Then I start. Well, if i do it by remote starting (either phone app or key fob) The truck bypasses Wait to Start and starts anyways!? it did this in 13F the other week. Shouldn't I be concerned?

Yes- Remote Start was Factory
No-Truck was not plugged in

Also, been having issues with "Elevated Idle" But, the truck is very iffy when it wants to do it. Right now it hasnt kicked in with the truck started, ECT 85F and outside temp is 36F. only when i remote start does it want to 50/50 Elevated Idle (700 RPM-750 RPM) for only a few mins or (from what i can tell) the ECT is 95F.

Yes- Setting for Elevated Idle is on
No- I'm not applying brake (deactivates elevated idle)

whats the craziest part is, the sound of the truck!Remote Start will sound 1 way. But, if i key start the truck, sounds like a complete different start up'dunno;

Any opinions or anything would be freaking amazing!!! Thanks guys! :gearjamin:help:1zhelp[1]:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump still needing someone(s) feedback, Thanks

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
The factory remote start should have about a 10 second delay allowing the glow plugs to run and time for the light to go out.
Have you been inside your truck using the remote start verifying there’s no delay.

It’s been several years since I had factory, with factory pretty much nothing turns on/lights up until it actually starts.
Aftermarket everything lights up like a Xmas tree as soon as you hit remote start.

No elevated where I’m located.

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,377 Posts
The factory remote start on my 2008 LMM starts in just a few seconds.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hey guys. So its 36F here in the mountains, where im at. And I wanted to see what would happen, since ive been concerned about this. But, Ive checked 2 different times on cold days. Where, when i put in keys to start truck the "WAIT TO START" lights up (and i wait till light is off) Then I start. Well, if i do it by remote starting (either phone app or key fob) The truck bypasses Wait to Start and starts anyways!? it did this in 13F the other week. Shouldn't I be concerned?

Yes- Remote Start was Factory
No-Truck was not plugged in

Also, been having issues with "Elevated Idle" But, the truck is very iffy when it wants to do it. Right now it hasnt kicked in with the truck started, ECT 85F and outside temp is 36F. only when i remote start does it want to 50/50 Elevated Idle (700 RPM-750 RPM) for only a few mins or (from what i can tell) the ECT is 95F.

Yes- Setting for Elevated Idle is on
No- I'm not applying brake (deactivates elevated idle)

whats the craziest part is, the sound of the truck!Remote Start will sound 1 way. But, if i key start the truck, sounds like a complete different start up'dunno;

Any opinions or anything would be freaking amazing!!! Thanks guys! :gearjamin:help:1zhelp[1]:

Elevated idle is supposed to work below 32F ambient. That is probably why it's not working at 36F. The temp sensor for dash display is not the same as used for intake air temp/ECM purposes - so there may be variation in displayed temp and ambient cut-ff of elevated idle.

The computer can/does raise idle for reasons other that the 'elevated idle' function. The 700/750 rpm will be one of those. Elevated idle will always be 1050 rpm on a pickup (higher in other applications). At startup the others can make the idle seem to behave similar to a cold started gasoline engine.

Elevated idle will disengage if:
-Intake air goes above 32*F
-Coolant goes above 150*F
-In-put to brake pedal
-Input to throttle
-Transmission moves from P or N
-Speed detected.

When paused, it will re-engage again if the reason for the pause is cleared.

Computer doesn't turn on dash indicators under remote start, since there isn't anyone there to look at them anyway. I always figured the dark dash (when entering after remote start) was a 'reminder' to insert and turn the key, instead of trying to drive off without unlocking the steering/trans.

If it doesn't ramp up to 1050 rpm after a 13*F remote start it may have a problem.
Not going up when it's 36 F is normal.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The factory remote start should have about a 10 second delay allowing the glow plugs to run and time for the light to go out.
Have you been inside your truck using the remote start verifying there’s no delay.

It’s been several years since I had factory, with factory pretty much nothing turns on/lights up until it actually starts.
Aftermarket everything lights up like a Xmas tree as soon as you hit remote start.

No elevated where I’m located.
I have confirmed that it does NOT wait. I have done it outside and inside the truck. When keys are in the Ignition "WAIT TO START" will take give/take 4-7 secs.

But, if i do it with remote start i hear the power kick in and when i watch the dash, i see W.T.S. light, but when the light is illuminated, the truck is already cranking up. Then, I can hear elevated idle, wanting to kick in. But, it hesitates, then it either does 1 of 2 things.

1)raise RPM's to 700-750 RPM, but only for about 30 secs-3 minutes
2) stays at 638 RPM- 640 RPM

But, yes i have made sure the procedure says in the book. "If 1 of the conditions are met"....etc..... Temp is under 40F and the truck is way below 160F.

Im stumped.... concerned for the life of the truck...'dunno;GrrRRrr

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Elevated idle is supposed to work below 32F ambient. That is probably why it's not working at 36F. The temp sensor for dash display is not the same as used for intake air temp/ECM purposes - so there may be variation in displayed temp and ambient cut-ff of elevated idle.

The computer can/does raise idle for reasons other that the 'elevated idle' function. The 700/750 rpm will be one of those. Elevated idle will always be 1050 rpm on a pickup (higher in other applications). At startup the others can make the idle seem to behave similar to a cold started gasoline engine.

Elevated idle will disengage if:
-Intake air goes above 32*F
-Coolant goes above 150*F
-In-put to brake pedal
-Input to throttle
-Transmission moves from P or N
-Speed detected.

When paused, it will re-engage again if the reason for the pause is cleared.

Computer doesn't turn on dash indicators under remote start, since there isn't anyone there to look at them anyway. I always figured the dark dash (when entering after remote start) was a 'reminder' to insert and turn the key, instead of trying to drive off without unlocking the steering/trans.

If it doesn't ramp up to 1050 rpm after a 13*F remote start it may have a problem.
Not going up when it's 36 F is normal.
Yep, 28F this morning, and i wanted to watch it again to see if it does or not W.T.S. and still cranking right when i remote start.

Also redwngr, When i remote start and sit in the truck my light(s) on my dash (Wait To Start) does illuminate. Im trying to figure out what could be causing the bypass.

Do you think it could be my CTS2 Monitor? I leave it plugged in, and never have given it any thought.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had issues with my remote start when I initially got tuning. The tuner got it rectified after a couple revisions. All works well as factory, remote start and elevated idle.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's my problem unfortunately. I suppose I am going to need to go to another tuner. Because it seems the company i went thru. Is an absolute PIMA. I've been patient for nearly a month. Yet still nothing. If it weren't for their shop being over 4-6 hours away. Id drive there myself.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yep, 28F this morning, and i wanted to watch it again to see if it does or not W.T.S. and still cranking right when i remote start.

Also redwngr, When i remote start and sit in the truck my light(s) on my dash (Wait To Start) does illuminate. Im trying to figure out what could be causing the bypass.

Do you think it could be my CTS2 Monitor? I leave it plugged in, and never have given it any thought.
When you don't see the light does it still fire right up?

Have you spoken with the tuner?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
on my 2015 before i was tuned the factory remote start would not wait for glow plugs to warm up unless it was very cold, at 36 it will just start without waiting. Im not saying this is normal, im not sure of that, but odds are if several trucks all behave the same, its how it was made to work. If you really really want it to wait every time, you can go with an aftermarket remote start which would let you set a hard wait to start delay. The NNBS trucks also have the intake grid heater which if your deleted you may not have anymore, I would bet that this heater is the reason that the factory wait to start time is so short / nonexistent.

If the options are a different tuner to get the issue resolved, i would just go with an aftermarket viper or compustar remote start instead. it will cost you less than the new tunes and will give you longer range and more features with the ability to set a 15 second wait to start delay every time regardless of engine temp.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
The remote start should be part of the BCM not ECM.
None of my tuning, Quadzilla, 4 EFI has ever affected my remote start delay, even before I went a aftermarket system.
Mines has a 10-12 second delay, I think factory was around 8 seconds.

If I remember no dash lights come on even after it starts until you insert and turn the key.

Would you be kind enough to share who/what company your tuner is ?

Aftermarket system might be a better idea.
Viper has “My Start Option” which doubles as a gps location with map, start, lock, unlock from anywhere in the world away from your truck.
All controlled with 2 way remotes and smart phones.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
FWIW it doesn't get very cold here often. When it does, after releasing the buttons for the remote start, the truck will not crank for a few seconds.

When doing remote start when temps are above 36, the engine starts immediately.

Everything bone stock.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ouch. Too bad you can't even confirm this issue is from the tuning side first.
Yea sucks, been a headache. Also, with me running my own business. Time, is something i never can seem to have.

When you don't see the light does it still fire right up?Have you spoken with the tuner?
It sounds like it is going to studder. But, what is weird is, when i go to remote start and i watch from outside, i can see the truck light up(normal) but right after it starts, i can see all the lights(sidemarker lights, turn signal orange lights, etc...) start to go from bright to dim back to the normal illumination. I thought it may be the batteries, but they're still good.

seems to be an ongoing issue.

on my 2015 before i was tuned the factory remote start would not wait for glow plugs to warm up unless it was very cold, at 36 it will just start without waiting. Im not saying this is normal, im not sure of that, but odds are if several trucks all behave the same, its how it was made to work. If you really really want it to wait every time, you can go with an aftermarket remote start which would let you set a hard wait to start delay. The NNBS trucks also have the intake grid heater which if your deleted you may not have anymore, I would bet that this heater is the reason that the factory wait to start time is so short / nonexistent.

If the options are a different tuner to get the issue resolved, i would just go with an aftermarket viper or compustar remote start instead. it will cost you less than the new tunes and will give you longer range and more features with the ability to set a 15 second wait to start delay every time regardless of engine temp.
Thank you for the info, ill be sure to check into those! It's not like i am incapable of going out and starting my truck with the key. Its just the fact, its (was) a $60k truck. I'd rather be able to have the convenient features, ya know?

The remote start should be part of the BCM not ECM.
None of my tuning, Quadzilla, 4 EFI has ever affected my remote start delay, even before I went a aftermarket system.
Mines has a 10-12 second delay, I think factory was around 8 seconds.

If I remember no dash lights come on even after it starts until you insert and turn the key.

Would you be kind enough to share who/what company your tuner is ?

Aftermarket system might be a better idea.
Viper has “My Start Option” which doubles as a gps location with map, start, lock, unlock from anywhere in the world away from your truck.
All controlled with 2 way remotes and smart phones.
The company is Anarchy, and I like that option with the VIPER, i currently use either my key fob, or the "MyChevrolet" App. Which is similiar, i do like that the mychevy app can give u some info with the vehicle. Like sending addresses to Mylink oil%, tire pressures, etc... But, ive been reading other posts. Most have problems with aftermarket, and yet rarely see anything on factory remote start after tuning. I just wanted to get a few PIDS kinda worked out. I only have a 40hp tune on the truck, yet the trans(assuming) is needing tcm tuning, because it lugs like GrrRRrr, when i go up hill giving more than 48% throttle. (don't seem right) Lastly, needing the tune revised, because everytime i seem to apply throttle near 84% it wants to drain the rails(NOT GOOD) which i figured would have been setup to SAFE MAX limit, but seems (other than the GLORIOUS SOUNDmarx) That the truck doesnt show really improvement with this 40hp tune. I know its small, so barely any difference would be shown. But, i figured i would try to stay at a low hp and play it safe, then work my way up. But, ......................

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Yea sucks, been a headache. Also, with me running my own business. Time, is something i never can seem to have.

It sounds like it is going to studder. But, what is weird is, when i go to remote start and i watch from outside, i can see the truck light up(normal) but right after it starts, i can see all the lights(sidemarker lights, turn signal orange lights, etc...) start to go from bright to dim back to the normal illumination. I thought it may be the batteries, but they're still good.

seems to be an ongoing issue.

Thank you for the info, ill be sure to check into those! It's not like i am incapable of going out and starting my truck with the key. Its just the fact, its (was) a $60k truck. I'd rather be able to have the convenient features, ya know?

The company is Anarchy, and I like that option with the VIPER, i currently use either my key fob, or the "MyChevrolet" App. Which is similiar, i do like that the mychevy app can give u some info with the vehicle. Like sending addresses to Mylink oil%, tire pressures, etc... But, ive been reading other posts. Most have problems with aftermarket, and yet rarely see anything on factory remote start after tuning. I just wanted to get a few PIDS kinda worked out. I only have a 40hp tune on the truck, yet the trans(assuming) is needing tcm tuning, because it lugs like GrrRRrr, when i go up hill giving more than 48% throttle. (don't seem right) Lastly, needing the tune revised, because everytime i seem to apply throttle near 84% it wants to drain the rails(NOT GOOD) which i figured would have been setup to SAFE MAX limit, but seems (other than the GLORIOUS SOUNDmarx) That the truck doesnt show really improvement with this 40hp tune. I know its small, so barely any difference would be shown. But, i figured i would try to stay at a low hp and play it safe, then work my way up. But, ......................
I should have added this earlier, I doubt that the tune is causing your issue. The tune would have to in some way corrupt the temperature data to make the truck think its warm enough to start without glow plugs which clearly its not doing or your engine temp on the cluster would be wrong constantly.

As for your tune, based on what your saying that does not sound right to me, im by no means an EFI expert, but i dont think you should be draining fuel rails at 84% throttle making under 400 HP.

Also, even on the stock tune, which is where i run my truck, the difference from factory to tuned was huge (though i did tune the TCM too). I would not expect someone to see little to no difference adding a 40 HP tune.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
So many feel just let the truck do what they think the trans is going to do what it’s suppose to do, yes, but sometimes it’s to slow, especially if your rpms are low enough to lug.
Even pulling a grade empty, sometimes you really should drop a gear.
Pay attention to your rpms, if they are a little low and you punch it, it’s going to lag.
If it’s lugging your rpms are to low.

I have aftermarket alarm systems on every vehicle I owned since at least since 1975, yes, I’ve started off with factory on the 2 vehicles in my sig, but eventually wanted something with longer distance to communicate with and 2 way, I’ve never had any problems.
Only people looking for a problem when they can’t find something to complain about, they’ll make one up.

Battery replacement or re-charge is about it, but that’s the same with all remotes.
The Viper uses a micro mini with usb to charge the battery.
My little EFI tune is a 40 HP towtune with turbo brake.
I think you might be expecting more than what you’ll get, especially if your still running the stock paper airfilter.

Think about just trying a OEM drop-in aftermarket airfilter in your stock AirBox and witness for yourself on it waking up a little more especially tuned.
I noticed a difference even stock.
Then you’ll have something to compare before and after. :surprise:

·
Registered
458 Posts
I spoke with my tuner and the tuning updates I had to do were not to correct the factory remote start specifically, but rather issues with the parts that were removed and not reinstalled properly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts