Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Remote Start Help

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  norcalrider 
#1 ·
Hi, so I'm a girl looking for a remote starter for my boyfriend's pickup for a gift. He has an 04 chevy durmamax. Does anyone have suggestions on good remote starters? I obviously don't know much about them so model and what it does would be nice. Are there any starters that wait to start or have a timer on them for the glow plugs and stuff?

Thanks for your help, I'll definitely need it if you can't tell :)

#4 ·
Go to Best Buy, they have the Vipers with lifetime warranty on parts and labor. They will treat you right.

#5 ·
I would stay away from best buy. Their installers have messed up vehicles.(I have seen this on more than one occasion) I would go to a stereo shop.

#6 ·
I've seen just the opposite. I guess the Best Buy here hires people that know what they are doing. :drink You can't beat the Liftime Warranty on parts and labor though.

#7 ·
Yeah my buddy had one installed on his truck back home. It was messing up, he went to the nearest best buy here in alaska (anchorage). They couldn't or wouldn't fix it. So he took it to another shop & they had to take everything out and install a new one at his expense.

I had best buy install some stereo stuff (amp & head unit). Those dumbasses ran the RCAs & power wire for the amp together. The alternator noise was so bad I could hear when I ran my windshield wipers. I tried to get them to fix it. Their fix was to run full frequency through my subs. I had to tear everything apart & run the RCAs & power wire down separate sides of the car. Everything was solved after that.

There is 3 separate best buys I would not let touch any of my vehicles again.

#8 ·
My viper also screws up to the point where I'm scared to use it. It occasionally acts like it defuels the engine and it just turns over with no crank. I get in and turn the key and it still won't crank for a while. I no longer use it lol.

- Adam

#9 ·
It depends on what Best Buy you go to....my store literally will NOT let an installer do any work that he has not been trained to a level that he is totally comfortable with. I had my Viper system installed through my install bay and it has been flawless (and it has the delay for my glow plugs). In general it is good practice to find out if the place you are going has done installs like what you want and if they have a good reputation....same goes for each individual install bay in each Best Buy...mine is great, the one a town over from ours.....screws stuff up constantly.

But to your question, like ob_jr1 said...anything DEI is a good product...and they make pretty much everything haha. The benefit of some are the fact that they have lifetime warranty, like Viper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.