Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I tried searching couldn't find what I was looking for. I am about to look into purchasing a 2007.5 2500 duramax and on a couple websites it says it has a remote start and on others its not listed.
Is there any way I can look up the actual GM build sheet for it listing the actual options by the VIN #?
And if its not actually equipped with one I heard most trucks already have the module but need to activate it. Anyone know if that's true?

Thanks in advanced,
Adam

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I had to take my vin to a dealer to find out my "model" cannot be upgraded with a remote starter....only option is aftermarket.

So if you have the vin I guess you could call a dealer and find out for sure.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I install remote starts, about 30 a winter. Besides being covered under factory warranty if something goes wrong, I am not thrilled with factory installed starters for available options, adjustability, and programmable options range and add-on price. IMO, i would go with aftermarket regardless. They out perform factory hands down.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
yeah i agree, but i was hoping to keep the factory keyfob with a start button on it.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
you could still use the factory key fob....just not to start it. the aftermarket ones are where it is at. With my clifford i can start and unlock my truck from a good distance away. The ony drawback to one I have....if you are rough with your keys, you can break the remote...My remote is $150 for a new one (had to buy a new one because the original stopped working after about 4.5 years of use :rolleyes: I was happy that it lasted that long)

Also with an aftermarket one, you can have it running for longer than the factory set time.....mine is either 20 mins or 60 mins of runtime IIRC.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
you could still use the factory key fob....just not to start it. the aftermarket ones are where it is at. With my clifford i can start and unlock my truck from a good distance away. The ony drawback to one I have....if you are rough with your keys, you can break the remote...My remote is $150 for a new one (had to buy a new one because the original stopped working after about 4.5 years of use :rolleyes: I was happy that it lasted that long)

Also with an aftermarket one, you can have it running for longer than the factory set time.....mine is either 20 mins or 60 mins of runtime IIRC.
lol ive been known to be a bit "rough" with my keys..

Granted I have taken notice to it....usually i have like 50 keys that I don't even know what they go to on my keychain....but recently switched to a keyring with truck key, keyfob and house keys on it..

Noticed it is much easier to carry them, not sure why i didn't think of it sooner

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... I figured if it was already installed or had the module installed and just needed to be activated I'd just use it for now (For a smaller fee). I was just wondering if the build sheets are accessible through VIN # some where on the internet or within someones access. I have yet to actually see the vehicle in person yet and the dealership is getting it brought in from another dealership across the state. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
The only way you will be able to know is to contact a dealer with the VIN...there is nothing that decodes the VIN down to every option. I think it is just put into the GM system of all the options on the vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If your truck came with remote lock/unlock, all that should be required is a programming change. We have done this with our fleet trucks many times. You will need a different key fob (the one with the remote start button). Take the new remote to your dealer and make friends with your local technician. From my experience, your new keyfob + six pack for technician = remote start in about 2 minutes.

·
Vendor
966 Posts
Hey guys,

I tried searching couldn't find what I was looking for. I am about to look into purchasing a 2007.5 2500 duramax and on a couple websites it says it has a remote start and on others its not listed.
Is there any way I can look up the actual GM build sheet for it listing the actual options by the VIN #?
And if its not actually equipped with one I heard most trucks already have the module but need to activate it. Anyone know if that's true?

Thanks in advanced,
Adam
To my understanding everything now works threw your vin. That being said your truck could have remote start you have to get the dealer to reflash the truck to get it. You would also have to have the remote for it. The dealer has to call GM and get the codes for the remote start for the vin. Basically you can add remote start to any of them you just have to pay the stealer for it.

I know this because Ive tried to get them to fix my speedo because of it being off. The service manager who Ive made buds with went out of his way to find a compareable tire size that GM has and they told him they couldn't send the code because our trucks are not offered with a 20" wheel option. :mad:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you look at the option codes in the glovebox there are a couple of codes that will tell you if if truck came with the remote start option. One of them is AP3. There may be more. You could contact the stealer to be sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.