Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every now and then I change up some things and I have had my eye on taking off my ranch hand legend series.
-Worries:
the day i take it off something will run into me or visa versa (thats why I have insurance right)
Its a pain to take off :rof
Ill want to replace it with a full bumper configuration
-Hopes:
Decrease the weight on my front end
Longevity to my suspension and bearings

Im bored so I figured I would post a thought I have been having Heyyaa

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I wouldn't own a modern truck without a real bumper on the front. I'd say keep it for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't own a modern truck without a real bumper on the front. I'd say keep it for sure.
How much was your front bumper/guard? What you have is what I am leaning towards wanting to get.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
The Frontier bumpers are cheaper than the Ranch Hand. The one I have is closer to the RH Summit bumper as it is all diamond plate steel, without the pipe. So it isn't as heavy but still provides protection. The Legend bumper is near 300 lbs, whereas the Frontier is high 100s, I think mine is 188 lbs. I got a deal on mine as it was a display unit, but they are like $850 around here brand new.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I just looked at your photo album of your truck. I didn't realize that you just had a RH grille guard. I was thinking full replacement. Anyway, the Frontier bumper will provide much more protection than the guard. I would recommend it.

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah not the full unit. Did you trim your fender well when your was installed? I am seeing some horrid pics of un trimmed fender wells hanging down looking like a bag of ass

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I did not trim mine, but they only extend an inch or so below the bumper. It doesn't bother me, but if you wanted to trim it is easy; one straight across cut.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
You can see how far mine extends here:

The LML trucks have different fender liners so it may be that yours are longer than mine. I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You can see how far mine extends here:

The LML trucks have different fender liners so it may be that yours are longer than mine. I'm not sure about that.
I was always a fan of the Mad Maxx movies but if I had uglied up my truck that bad I would have to kick my own ars... I know some people find them to be attractive but I'm just not one of them.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to install a front replacement if the factory bumpers were sturdy. I would only have a grille guard on a GMT400 truck or older because the bumpers were relatively thick steel. Factory bumpers on trucks now are so chintzy that cars have better. Cars have 5mph bumpers by law, but trucks have no regulations on bumpers.

There was a test done a few years ago on truck bumpers. The trucks were Drive idled into immovable obstacles that one would encounter in parking areas. From what I remember at least one truck had the bumper push back into the tire making the truck undrivable. That is unacceptable to me. All trucks had multiple thousands of dollars of damage.

Bumpers need to be substantial to take some abuse and these of today don't cut it. I'm sure in the next generation or two of trucks the bumpers will be like on the Tahoe. Oh how that vehicle has been pulled down.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
The stock bumper is pretty sturdy I've hit 3 deer with mine and I got 1 scratch where a horn scraped as he rolled under my truck lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ranch hand makes a very good bumper, long lasting and sturdy but there ugly as hell (very functional though). If your looking for a custom bumper and affordable try fusion bumpers they are awesome plus you can customize them to your liking, they look almost factory like one thing that I like is they are within 2 inches of the factory stock bumper where as most are 8-12 inch farther out. If need something mad max end of the world type go with Ranch Hand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts