Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have on order an AT4 crew/short bed with the factory 5th wheel setup, the hitch I like is the B&W using the puck mount. My problem is with advancing age I no longer have the strength to lift weights as I used to. At present I tow using a drawtite hitch which is manageable when broken down into two pieces, so I am wondering if it's possible to leave the hitch connected to the 5th wheel, release the pucks and lift it utilizing the front legs. That way the only time I would need help is in the winter to store it.

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
The hitch lifting bracket is a good idea. I just installed an electric hoist in my garage ceiling to remove & replace my 5th wheel hitch. Haven't used it yet, but I believe it will save my back.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have a Reese Signature series 5th wheel puck system hitch.

I have on several occasions when on the road and at a location for a week or so removed the hitch by leaving it hitched to the trailer. Recommend having a lock on the release handle so someone can not inadvertently release the hitch from the king pin.

Has worked good for me and gives me full use of the truck bed with a flat floor.

Reinstalling the hitch is not very difficult but a spotter does help in lining things up. Difficulty is much like a standard ball bumper trailer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the comments, my concern was if there was a problem releasing the puck mounts and lifting with the 5th wheel. I am pretty sure my next hitch will be the B&W as I really like the positive latching and the fact you do not have to fight it to release once parked.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been doing that for years, although only recently with puck mount, but my gooseneck mounted version I always did that too. My b&w is currently hanging off my fifth wheel King pin right now. I say do it!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
"my concern was if there was a problem releasing the puck mounts and lifting with the 5th wheel. "

No problem at all in releasing the pucks on my Reese Signature. Reinstalling the hitch is a little more difficult than standard hitching but very doable even without a spotter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have on order an AT4 crew/short bed with the factory 5th wheel setup, the hitch I like is the B&W using the puck mount. My problem is with advancing age I no longer have the strength to lift weights as I used to. At present I tow using a drawtite hitch which is manageable when broken down into two pieces, so I am wondering if it's possible to leave the hitch connected to the 5th wheel, release the pucks and lift it utilizing the front legs. That way the only time I would need help is in the winter to store it.

I had a Curt hitch before I went to the B&W, Curt was 1/2 the weight of the B&W and it took 2 to install the B&W so I went to Harbor Freight and bought a $25 hoist and installed it in the ceiling in my garage. Now it is easy breezy to install by myself. I installed a cable that I took to the hoist under the B&W and leave it on. It takes a little longer to install but no more broken back.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am a big B&W fan, pulled my 5er all over the southern part of the US and never had a moments notice. About 3 weeks ago i sold my '02 and bought a '20 with the factory puck system. When i purchase my next 5er, i am looking into using the Reese Goosebox to replace the factory pin box. Lippert has approved the use of the Goosebox without any issue with the factory warranty. The nice thing there is no hitch in the bed of the truck as the hitch uses the gooseneck hitch. The Goosebox has a internal suspension assembly to help reduce trailer induced bounce. Good luck with whatever direction you go!

-Mark

·
Registered
798 Posts
There should be no issues puling the retainers. Most are twist lock and as long as you have weight on the hitch, it should be easy to unlock.

Now it will be real interesting if you extend the jacks and miss the height lifting the truck slightly. The if you do get the twist locks loose, it will probably make some noise and possibly bend something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The hitch lifting bracket is a good idea. I just installed an electric hoist in my garage ceiling to remove & replace my 5th wheel hitch. Haven't used it yet, but I believe it will save my back.
I did this also, works great, set it on a dolly roll it in the corner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts