Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had ordered some new lack bed caps for my truck to replace the chrome diamond plate ones that are currently on my truck.
Now, how do i remove these bed caps without wrecking them at all?

I also plan on doing a new Tailgate Protector to replace the chrome one that's on my truck. I cannot decide between the 1500 Style Spoiler, or the OEM Factory Protector. I know the OEM one installs with just two sided tape like the box caps, but how does the 1500 style one bolt on? Do i have to remove the tailgate handle to put in the bolts? Anyone ever done this?

Post pic's if you have the Spoiler, and if you'd recommend it over the OEM one.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. I'm sure someone on here has removed some bed caps without destroying them.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe so. They were on the truck when i bought it. I dont want to destroy them like i did my side moldings when i removed them.

·
I STILL DGAF
9,061 Posts
I've had shitloads of bedcaps and most got destroyed or at the very least bent when takin em off. I don't think there's a good way to do it except slowly. I started screwin em all in after I bent a set and it's much easier to remove. You'll just have holes in your shit.........

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can CAREFULLY take a razor knife and cut the tape where it bends around the outside edge of the bed. Keep your blade against the cap itself. This will let you get for fingers underneath it. Then take a heat gun and heat the bed cap up while lifting up on it. This usually releases the tape. Usually works pretty good. Be careful dont smoke any paint lol.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once the caps are off, should i take a body eraser wheel to clear off all excess tape and clean it up real good before i install the new caps?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use the small razor knife with the snap off blades. Extend it out all the way to keep the knife body away from the paint and slowly saw with it. Just be patient and youll be fine.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i got the old cap's off, destroyed one but saved the other. Bed top were a little beat up so i got new cap's toay. Some nice black ones, looks way better in my opinion. Now i just need a new tailgate protector (Black one to repace chrome one).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts