Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had read somewhere that it is possible to remove coolant with a transfer pump starting at the overflow tank and then removing the upper hose and pumping from the radiator that way. Has anyone actually tried this? I have to replace my thermostats and want to replace as much coolant as possible without too much trouble. I realize I am due for a full flush but it is the middle of winter and I have thermostat problems. It is too cold to be doing that much work outside. If I do this right now I will certainly be doing a full flush in the spring.

TIA

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Personally i would just take the loss on the coolant if youre worried about working outside in the elements. Its gonna take you more time screwing around collecting old coolant to put back in that it will take you to just buy a jug and mix it 50/50 inside your house. You wont actually lose much coolant from doing the t stats because theyre on the topside of the cooling system. If i had to guess i would say a gallon max although its been awhile since i did it. You will probably lose less working on it when the truck is cold also. Coolant is 15$ a jug and distilled water is 2$ i would just spend the money on one of each. Also believe if you pinch off the large radiator hose with large vice grips or something you will lose less coolant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I thought I had read somewhere that it is possible to remove coolant with a transfer pump starting at the overflow tank and then removing the upper hose and pumping from the radiator that way. Has anyone actually tried this? I have to replace my thermostats and want to replace as much coolant as possible without too much trouble. I realize I am due for a full flush but it is the middle of winter and I have thermostat problems. It is too cold to be doing that much work outside. If I do this right now I will certainly be doing a full flush in the spring.

TIA

honestly, theres not that much fluid loss for just the thermostat, id just drain maybe a gallon or so out and pull it apart. The thermostats are at the very top of the block and are the high point in the cooling system so the only coolant that should drain out is whats in the upper pipe that bolts over the thermostats.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Of course, there's always the ? of which came 1st, the egg or the chicken.

Biggest point of the coolant is the anti-corrosive properties, not so much the freeze point....expired/tired coolant could be the reason why your T-stats are stuck to begin with.

So there's that to consider when replacing with new....and still running crappy coolant. So you might consider checking the pH on the coolant, see if it's a rust bucket in waiting or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don’t think anyone has read your post correctly. I’m not sure how much you can get out that way but I agree with you on replacing as much as possible while you have the system open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t think anyone has read your post correctly. I’m not sure how much you can get out that way but I agree with you on replacing as much as possible while you have the system open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, I am not trying to capture and reuse what comes out. I am trying to replace as much as possible with new coolant and avoid a days worth of heating up flushing, draining several times.

My normal procedure on coolant flushing is as follows:

Drain as much as will come out
Fill with straight water and run the vehicle
Cool down and repeat till clear water comes out
Then add in half of the capacity in straight coolant and add water as needed
So I know I have a flushed system and the proper amount of coolant.

In 40° weather I don’t think it is worth the 4 to 6 hours it takes so my goal is to remove as much of the old stuff as possible (with as little mess as possible) then just top off with 50/50 mix for now. If I can get 16 quarts out of the 25 it takes of good fresh fluid in, I feel that will tide me over till the weather breaks.

Sucks not having an indoor space to work..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I wanted to report back. The pump idea failed miserably except to not make a mess. Removing fluid from overflow yielded very little coolant spilling when I removed the upper rad hose. Once everything was apart I tried to use The pump to get out coolant for on block and rad all I was able to pull out was about 1.5 gallons total. So I wound up doing it the old fashion way. By the way when I removed the lower hose (it made a mess) only about 3 gallons come out at a time. Long day but now it is done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts