Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a guy with a GMC 5500 that is wanting big power but does not want the DPF to be plugging up the exhaust making him lose power...but obviously it seems to be wired into everything, how can I take off the DPF in place for a straight pipe without having the computer go haywire?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought I spelled it out in there, guess not.. diesel particulate filter...the big catalytic converter looking thing that catches all the soot then heats it all up and burns it when it gets clogged... Atleast I think it is called a diesel particulate filter..??

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I have read where guys changed out the exhaust to a 4" system. It works, but you will have CEL. The aftermarket is catching up and soon you will be able to do it and not have the light.

The DPF is on the new LMM engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So would it make everything work if I put a Y on the exhaust before the DPF and put another pipe going around the DPF and one going through it, and then have that pipe come back to the regular exhaust after the DPF? So then the DPF wouldn't know the difference and you would have flow and no CEL..?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I think if you do anything to the exhaust it will trip a CEL...I don't know this for a fact, but if you wait a little while, they (aftermarket) will defeat it.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
i agree with tow master there are a lot of companies out there and learn from somebodies elses mistakes because if you make your own mistakes it can be expensive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts