Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this will do? Or if it is even possible with the trucks computer? I hope someone can do it because that thing is stupid in my opinion. I felt stupid ordering a "filter back" exhaust for my LMM. When is all this emissions BS gonna stop!:mad:

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
3 words...DON'T DO IT. We've seen several trucks where the owner removed the dpf and the results were mixed but all bad. One truck drove and ran ok but it went into a re-gen mode and wouldn't stop. He had a constant cloud of white smoke behind him. The second one went into limp and would hardly move until it was reinstalled. In all cases, if it's removed, the dealer will void your warranty. In fact, here in CA, most dealers will refuse to work on it even if you pay them as it's now a polution controlled truck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on the DPF. I am sure there will be alot of trial and error with the new emissions. I am hoping the aftermarket will make something better, if not oh well! I feel sorry for those who did remove it, what a pain in the a$$. But that is how the rest of us learn! 02max2500 my lift is a Cognito Motorsports 12in. They make an awesome 4in and 6in kit for your truck you should check them out. Their website is cognitomotorsports.com. Look in the gallery for pics, the pic of my truck is when it was 10in on 38's. Where do you live? Chat w/ you later.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey J-BARKER do you work for banks? If so is Banks working on anything for the LMM with the DPF? Thanks again fot the info.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I read it can be done but you have to remove the DPF, install LBZ ecm and straight pipe the exhaust. Then again I read you can tie all the sencors back and Install a delete pipe. And you will just get a CEL, but the engine runs fine and you can drive it anywhere. And It will not regen if the sensors are unplugged, I'm not sure about all that, But who knows i'm sure somebody will come out with something before to long. They did for the new ford 6.4..........

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Hey J-BARKER do you work for banks? If so is Banks working on anything for the LMM with the DPF? Thanks again fot the info.
Yes I do work for Banks. We already have the CAC for the LMM and the intake system should be ready in a week or two. We are going to have the exhaust system but, to keep you legal, it will retain all of the emmission control systems (including the DPF). We will also have the six gun and the ottomind tuners ready by Christmas. They will both work with the DPF without any damage.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good, thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all why not leave the dpf senser. remoive the cats. so the computer thinks the cats. are not pluged it may not go into exhaust clean mode. It may need to see pulses on the dpf senser. DAN

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Hi all why not leave the dpf senser. remoive the cats. so the computer thinks the cats. are not pluged it may not go into exhaust clean mode. It may need to see pulses on the dpf senser. DAN
One customer did exactly that. The truck actually went into re-gen mode and wouldn't stop. He pulled in with a big cloud of smoke behind him because of it (no tuning was on this truck). The re-gen cycle stopped after the parts were reinstalled.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Please do not take offense by my response. I do not mean this maliciously.
I am concerned about your desire to remove the aftertreatment on your vehicle. The removal of "certain" devices will be detected by the ECU -- it will probably go into engine protection shutdown or power reduction. The particulate filter regeneration will occur at a given trigger point and could shoot raw fuel into your exhaust system (now just pipes). Please, do not arbitrarily remove the aftertreatment devices. What do you hope to gain by doing this?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have talked to at least 5 different people on dieselplace.com with the LMM and they are running turbo-backs with no cats and no DPF and have yet to see any problems. Plus they gained MPG's! My friend shaughn at StreetShock said that SoCalDiesel has a computer program that will allow the LMM to run with that setup. The only problem now is getting the dealer to perform warranty work, i guess they are not doing any work if the cats and DPF are still on the vehicle. Has anyone eles heard of any of these situations?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I meant if the cats and the DPF are not on the vehicle in their original form.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SoCalDiesel sells the program like i said before. It is called EFI Live it is on their website.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hope someone can do it because that thing is stupid in my opinion. When is all this emissions BS gonna stop!:mad:
ANSWER: When people start being responsible on their own and do the right thing with no government oversight. Or, another way to put it, NEVER!

I don't mean to be a killjoy, and since I fly jets for a living and burn more JP-8 in a week than your truck ever will in its lifetime I guess I can't talk too much. Personally I take pride in the fact that my truck will haul ass, has more power than I ever need stock, AND is cleaner than the gasoline equivalent.

Sorry for the diatribe ... this is just a good example of why I'd love to be a libertarian ... it's just that I don't trust people! If you think I'm full of crap, flame away! :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
People be responsible on their own? Like you stated, not gonna happen! I like the fact that my truck is clean and powerful too, what i am trying to say is that the DPF limits whay you can do to the truck and that is what i dont like! The goverment controls everything eles in my life at least let me mod my vehicle in peace!

·
Registered
12 Posts
just put a lbz strait pipe and tune out the dpf with EFILive!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
does anyone no if just taking the muffler off would make the lmm any louder. or do you have to take the dfp and catalatic off

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just saw that rbp has a turbo back exhaust for the LMM and with their programmer it will work. Anyone have any further insight on this?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts