Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

does anyone know how to properly remove the head lights on these new trucks?
i removed the top bolt and the one under the shroud i guess you would call it, and when i pull it seems like something is holding it up,

now before i tear it up has someone done this before? i received my 6k HID kit and would love to put it in!!!

:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help:help

·
Registered
2 Posts
There should be a screw/bolt at the bottom rear of the headlight. You should be able to access it by using a socket with an extention in between the bumper and the headlight, you may also be able to get it if you take the inner fender out.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
finally found it!

two on top, one on the inside behind the grille shell, and one in the front of the fender well

i just hope these DDM tuning kits go in with ease!

thanks!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I went from behind.

I had to remove the front battery, the tray, remove the bolt for the wiper washer bottle under the tray and the one on the radiator core support so you can move the bottle out of the way. On the passenger's side you have to remove the air box. And, if you run a relay (you should), remove the upper plastic housing that covers the battery cables across the top of the fan shroud.

If you have big hands use someone who has small hands to squeeze through the openings in the radiator header.

It sounds labor intensive, but it only took about 45 minutes to remove everything, wire it up, and put it all back together.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And, if you run a relay (you should), remove the upper plastic housing that covers the battery cables across the top of the fan shroud.

what is this Relay you speak of :help

i never ended up putting them in, but i plan on getting them done at work sometime this week! truck is all nice and clean, even waxed so i want them done quick to add to the Nice ride appeal!

im assuming with 6k, people are going to flash me even more? i guess since the truck is leveled and not nose diving that people that flash me now think my high beams are on

Heyyaa

·
Registered
65 Posts
I didn't run a relay and haven't had a problem yet, except for one ballast going bad.
I do get flashed a lot though and have actually had someone follow me all the way to my house and yell at me but thats about it. You'll like em' :thumb

·
Registered
691 Posts
what is this Relay you speak of :help

i never ended up putting them in, but i plan on getting them done at work sometime this week! truck is all nice and clean, even waxed so i want them done quick to add to the Nice ride appeal!

im assuming with 6k, people are going to flash me even more? i guess since the truck is leveled and not nose diving that people that flash me now think my high beams are on

Heyyaa
The relay pulls power directly from the battery or power block instead of through the extremely thin factory wires to the ballasts. The ballasts draw the most power on bulb start-up, but draw much less keeping the bulbs lit than the incandescent bulbs. Remember it's the low voltage that kills the ballasts.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is there anything special i have to do? since the kit is all plug N play?(as far as i know, the damn chinese could have screwed me over)

interesting idea though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the dealer install the HID high beams. They took out the inner plastic fender and accessed the bulb from behind. Tire had to come off too, along with the fender flairs. It was a big job!

·
Registered
335 Posts
NOOO i love how easy it is to take mine out. Now your telling me that on the improved model of my truck its harder ...
:mad1
my night= Ruined

·
Registered
309 Posts
yeah lmao you have to take the front end apart to get to one bulb couldnt make it simple

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't understand why they would get away from the two pin setup they had. That's like moving the steering wheel Controls to the back of the headrest, just retarded

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
alright everyone,

i finally got these kits installed last night

i can honestly say, dont waste your time trying to take headlights or grill shell out, its too much of a PITA!!!!

(Thatmarkguy) is right:

driver side:

remove front battery with one bolt, and for me i didn't have to take out the washer fluid bottle or even move it, but once that is out my skinny hand had plenty of room to change the bulb out

passenger side:

unscrew the hose clamp for the air box (easy) and unscrew the two screws on top of the box itself (also easy) and pull that, the filter and the bottom tray (pull hard) and you have all the room you need to change the bulb.

Fog Lights:

very easy with a flat head screw driver pop the tab back on the light and yank it out, put the new bulb in, hook your wires up and mount. Now some say they had problems and some say they didn't have problems, but i had to splice the wires in. It seemed like the little positive tab (from the kit) would slide into the plug but i couldn't get the ground to slide in, and there are options to stick it in but there's no use, just splice them. I used the wire to wire connecter where the wires are side by side, not the tube type, they work great!

once everything is tested and light up then you have to mount. i didn't find many options for the headlights on the driver side so the ballast is sitting between the battery and the core support, it isn't going anywhere! For the passenger side i zip tied the shit out of it, and it is hanging below the tray under the air box, also isn't going anywhere. for the fog lights even with the skinny ballast's i couldn't find many options so i put them on the body mount piece, between the frame and body mount itself, and did 3 zip ties just to make it snug, after checking them (putting 60 miles on them) they seem fine!

they are $70 for the kit and after shipping from China it was $96 out the door. DDMTuning.com

if you do this i would recommend (if you can swing it) get and extra bulb just in case, or and extra of each ballast, just in case

so far i'm pleased with them, and i have to drive with the fog's only when i'm on the two lane streets, but once i'm on a highway or by myself the headlights come on!

hope this helps, they are worth it (as long as they keep working)

OH and another thing don't throw away your bulbs for the headlights, since those aren't spliced in (if the HID goes out) you can always plug back in your factory if you are on the side of the road or something, once you take out the air box and battery, 5 minutes tops!

here's a picture!

View attachment 41312

Attachments

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't understand why they would get away from the two pin setup they had.
i hear you on that one!

my 2001 Sierra is a breeze!, these new trucks are a PITA!

·
Registered
32 Posts
battery removal procedure

The procedure outlined in the manuals is to remove the positive cables off the 1st battery located by the firewall on the passenger site and then to remove the battery located on the driver’s side.

Would not be wise to just remove the negative battery cable on the passenger site battery and then go and tackle the battery on the driver’s side?

Or is it simple enough just to remove the battery on the drivers sited, being careful with each battery cable?

Just curious on the best procedure to follow.

Thanks…

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The procedure outlined in the manuals is to remove the positive cables off the 1st battery located by the firewall on the passenger site and then to remove the battery located on the driver’s side.

Would not be wise to just remove the negative battery cable on the passenger site battery and then go and tackle the battery on the driver’s side?

Or is it simple enough just to remove the battery on the drivers sited, being careful with each battery cable?

Just curious on the best procedure to follow.

Thanks…

i pulled the positive off (driver side) and then removed the negative

i haven't had any problems since doing this, radio does its job and all is good!

IMO no need to mess with the passenger battery

but if you are trying to remove both for some reason i would do one at a time, positive then negative, then go to next battery

IMO of course

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
all that to change bulbs. there making it rediculas to work on our vehicles ,and it just keeps gettin worse. thats technology
I believe the complication is only because he is converting to HID's. Replacement of stock bulb is not to bad, although the air cleaner cover needs to be removed for the passenger side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The technition at the dealership was frustrated as the rest of us with the general comming up with such a complicated bulb change. He seemed to know the steps and to change out the high beam bulbs the inner wheel well comes out with the tire off. Not bad on a clean new truck but not looking forward to next time!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts