Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to attempt to put on dmax store stage 2 ultimate front end kit. Im nervous as hell about removing the pitman arm. I DONT want to damage the steering box or seals. I need some good pointers any help much appreciated

·
Registered
235 Posts
I use a standard puller. Use a 2 inch bolt the thread of the puller. This will keep you from having to unbolt the steering box. As you tighten the puller tap the pitman arm with a hammer. Tighten tap, tighten tap. Of all the times I have done this I have never had to cut one off.

·
Registered
291 Posts
first question....do you have a pitman arm puller? if not you will definetly need one.

second question...are you mechanically inclined?

i myself havnt had to do one on a lml platform, but ive done tons of them on the older trucks.

simply remove the center link off the pitman and ilder arm to get the linkage out of your way. unbolt the box, slide it up on the telescoping shaft to gain access to the 1 5/16 nut that secure the itman arm to the box. then put your pitman arm puller on and remove the old pitman.

installl is easy as intall pitman arm making sure its clocked right (the way the old came off) its splined. tighten the big nut..i dont have torque specs but i usually run em on with a impact gun. they gotta be tight. just use common sense.

bolt up the box and hook up centerlink and head to an alignment shop!

all this is easier said than done but if you have experience with working on vehicles its not a hard task. you could remove the box entirely but not a must.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I use a standard puller. Use a 2 inch bolt the thread of the puller. This will keep you from having to unbolt the steering box. As you tighten the puller tap the pitman arm with a hammer. Tighten tap, tighten tap. Of all the times I have done this I have never had to cut one off.
This is what I did to get mine off. Worked great and didn't have to unbolt the steering box.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Awesome thanks I will try that I do have a puller from oriellys but the man told me it should work on the 2011 but computer showed it for 2010. They didn't have one for the newer trucks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stage 2 kit from dmax store comes with kryptonite tierods and idler arm pitman arm and cognito braces. So I guess pitman arm should be the first thing to replace and then work my way to the tie rods?

·
Registered
331 Posts
The puller I used wouldn't get it completely off. I used a dremel and cut most of it. I stopped when I got close to the steering shaft. Then I stuck a chisel in there and tapped it with a hammer and it split it open and fell off. No damage to steering box.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I always cut mine off. Very easy

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
dont forget to lock your steering wheel, and put the seat belt through the wheel too...

i've been down this road with my truck, when i pulled the lift off i went ahead and replaced the pitman arm, idler arm and assembly, and put new LCA's on it (with new balljoints)

you might have to apply some heat to the arm, but it could be a catch 22 and you could melt seals possibly in the gear box?! I heat mine up before hitting it with the impact,......but i guess it depends on how much air ya got :)

oreillys has a pitman arm puller but it wont fit, so there is a 2 jaw puller you must get instead...

pictures to come..

also DO NOT LET THE GEAR BOX SHAFT SPIN!!!!!! When i had my entire gear box out (painting, undercoating everything under the truck too, trust is sick underneath :D, but i had to make sure the shaft didnt spin so it went back in the way it came out....soo mark both the pitman arm and gear box so you know where its supposed to go, and just dont let the shaft spin!!)

crappy PITMAN arm puller that didnt fit
ImageUploadedByAG Free1402438154.744247.jpg

one that works
ImageUploadedByAG Free1402438170.350102.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1402438186.439596.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1402437722.634281.jpg

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
1 13/16 is the nut size..
ImageUploadedByAG Free1403143210.517352.jpg

puller in action
ImageUploadedByAG Free1402438222.445852.jpg

used a little heat
IMG_7683.jpg

and the air from work.
IMG_7684.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks JWC your posts are the most informal on the forum, thanks man. My dads owns a small trucking company and we have lots of different pullers two jaw three jaw etc. I rented the one from Oriellys before I read your post.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Really guys, a grinder with a metabo blade and in a few minutes it will be off. Don't even need to drop steering arm.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Either way you have to unbolt the three bolts that hold the gearbox to the frame JUST so you can maneuver the box enough to allow the large nut to be removed...

Way the frame is on an LML, you can't even take the nut off while trying to install the cognito steering braces

If this is an email that OP has, you can cut it off (don't damage gear box splines) but you will still need to undo three bolts to get the new one on

Btw, what's the year model of your truck OP?

I'm no expert guys, but I know what I've worked on :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I been looking at my trucks steering box and it looks like it's gonna be a bitch to even let the steering box down to get pitman arm off. Do I need to unhook the lines cause I can't even see them lol

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
its not bad

its a rubber line (use pliers to remove) and a steel line, which removes easily with an open end wrench

remember, its very very very important to not let the shaft turn on either the gear box or the steering linkage coming through the firewall!

while everything is still together break the large nut with a huge crescent, then lock your steering wheel, mark your gearbox to the pitman arm, sooo just in case it does turn (and doesnt reach a full revolution) you can just turn it back :D

undo the rubber line, and the steel line (use a drip pan, because TRUST ME, the gear box holds alot of oil that seems to never quit!), unbolt it from the frame (three bolts), then unbolt the steering linkage u joint deal at the gear box, and make sure you dont lose that bolt! Once all that is done you can just slide it towards the front and do what you have to do

one good thing since its already out is to install a steering support kit like Cognito, since you basically have to unbolt it from the frame and push up on it just so you can slide the support up to the pitman arm (since you have to push up on the loose gear box to get the large nut off!!)

remember, keep the steering wheel locked with your seatbelt and pull it tight, dont let it turn!!

unless you just want to work on it still under the truck, hopefully the arm comes off :)

because if you could situate it enough, you MIGHT be able too, if not, just do what i said and pull it forward,..

here is the rubber line and steel line mentioned above

ImageUploadedByAG Free1403226271.990477.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
its not bad

its a rubber line (use pliers to remove) and a steel line, which removes easily with an open end wrench

remember, its very very very important to not let the shaft turn on either the gear box or the steering linkage coming through the firewall!

while everything is still together break the large nut with a huge crescent, then lock your steering wheel, mark your gearbox to the pitman arm, sooo just in case it does turn (and doesnt reach a full revolution) you can just turn it back :D

undo the rubber line, and the steel line (use a drip pan, because TRUST ME, the gear box holds alot of oil that seems to never quit!), unbolt it from the frame (three bolts), then unbolt the steering linkage u joint deal at the gear box, and make sure you dont lose that bolt! Once all that is done you can just slide it towards the front and do what you have to do

one good thing since its already out is to install a steering support kit like Cognito, since you basically have to unbolt it from the frame and push up on it just so you can slide the support up to the pitman arm (since you have to push up on the loose gear box to get the large nut off!!)

remember, keep the steering wheel locked with your seatbelt and pull it tight, dont let it turn!!

unless you just want to work on it still under the truck, hopefully the arm comes off :)

because if you could situate it enough, you MIGHT be able too, if not, just do what i said and pull it forward,..

here is the rubber line and steel line mentioned above

View attachment 548098

and what if it does move lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I might be doing mine now. 16 high country, I have the idler side done and aside from cutting it off (pitman arm) All I have is that shitty little puller like referenced above the smaller one that won’t fit over the pitman arm head is there any other way to get my old junk ass Stock one off? Feeling like an idiot asking these questions but I don’t have any help and I’m not youtubing it I’m learning on my own so.

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
I changed mine recently and I ended up having to cut the pitman off

If it won’t come off with decent pressure cut it in a pie shape and grind the thin part at the shaft until it pops off

do your best to keep the shaft from moving a revolution, I always mark it in several locations to have a good reference of how much it moves

1 - 20 of 20 Posts