Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to remove the EGR Valve/Cooler from the truck in my sig. I have read all the DIY's on here and Diesel Place. Just got the kit today from [email protected] Thanks Scott. Any tips or tricks I should be aware of before starting? I have worked in the mechanical field as a Millwright for the last almost 42 years, but I am not a Dmax Tech. I have the FE9 code in the glovebox, what codes, if any, will it throw? Thanks in advance for your help guys. :drink

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
where does it have the FE9 sticker your talking about?

·
Registered
686 Posts
just get the fingerstick kennedy diesel has them , it will trick computer making it think egr is there and working fine,

Kennedy Diesel

actually fe9 is ok i think , my truck has the cali code in glove box so my check engine light will come on so i used fingerstick ,

·
Registered
686 Posts
where does it have the FE9 sticker your talking about?
its in ur glove box on the big stick with all the other codes, u will see g80 for ur rear end to

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just get the fingerstick kennedy diesel has them , it will trick computer making it think egr is there and working fine,

Kennedy Diesel

actually fe9 is ok i think , my truck has the cali code in glove box so my check engine light will come on so i used fingerstick ,
Guess I will need to wait until next weekend for the install. Fingerstick ordered!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dumb question, but do you need the fingerstick if you have EFILive?

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
p0540 grid heater cic. dont know if finger stick stops this one or not
It depends if he got it with the grid heater delete or not.

And no you don't need a fingerstick if you have EFI.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Not if your tuner blocked the codes

·
Registered
897 Posts
Thank You!!!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It depends if he got it with the grid heater delete or not.
I am not sure. I was not aware that the fingerstick offered the grid heater delete? The kit I bought from [email protected] does delete the grid heater. I do know that the grid heater is going bye-bye. I bought the fingerstick Kennedy Diesel offers for the LBZ-LLY for the EGR codes. Is there something else available? Help me out here as I am not a Dmax Tech.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help guys. I was finally able to install the kit from scot[email protected]. Thanks for your help Scott. It does throw a couple of codes and CEL for the EGR and grid heater. Guess it is time to reprogram the ECM. Looks like an old Millwright CAN do a thing or two on a Dmax.

Before:

And after:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I can. The Dmax is not only quieter, but smoother. It also feels like it breathes a lot easier. 70800 miles on it, I bought it when it had 43400 miles on it. The one thing I found out while doing this mod, is that the previous owner had an EGR blocker plate already installed. The other thing I learned was that the EGR cooler was leaking. Not sure for how long, but it doesn't matter now. LOL

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
efi live will shut those codes off

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I know!! I have seen the EFI Live V2, and with all the capabilities it gives, it really scares me. I am just an old millwright, not a Dmax Tech, and I feel that I should know more about the operation of the engine and all the control modules before I am given that kind of capability. One of the vendors on here has offered to reprogram the ECM for me to block those codes and also give me a tune worth a little more HP. All I use the Dmax for is towing my 5th wheel, not racing, so that is great for me. Thank you for the info, though. :drink

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^^^ do ta still have the stock downpipe??
Nope, that was also gone when I bought the truck. I am convinced whoever had this truck before me was running a tune and believed in performance.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TDI, after talking with Dustin at ATP, I will be going with EFI Live V2 w/DSP 5 switch and loaded with tunes. He made me feel more comfortable with running the setup. I guess we will see after it gets here and we get everything loaded up. :gearjamin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts