Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have a set of stock UCA's with about 50k miles on them. $75 for the pair if anyone needs them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree with others, throw away the upper control arms and get new ones. I would get the Cognito upper control arms being the ball joints are easy to replace and the geometry is better.

Replacing the lower ball joints with a ball joint press from Oreillys is easy, no need to remove them from the vehicle. I would also install pitman and idler arm braces.

Good luck,
Yellowchevy

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
In the past Ive removed the lower arm and brought it to the shop that inspects my vehicles to press out the old and press in the new. Cost like $20-$30

·
Registered
320 Posts
Only problem with that is you need the tool to remove your torsion keys.

I personally feel leaving them on the pickup is the way to go, saves time and it's easy.

Yellowchevy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Excellent advice. Get two of these:

View attachment 58151
The part number is K620053 - Moog UCA with bushings & pre-installed ball joint . . . about $100 each. :thumb

About $150 for 2 lower ball joints & 4 bushings - they are more of a pain. :rolleyes:
This is exactly what I'm gonna do. And I guess I'll keep the lower ball joints in the freezer overnight until I get ready to install them. :rof

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I agree with others, throw away the upper control arms and get new ones. I would get the Cognito upper control arms being the ball joints are easy to replace and the geometry is better.

Replacing the lower ball joints with a ball joint press from Oreillys is easy, no need to remove them from the vehicle. I would also install pitman and idler arm braces.

Good luck,
Yellowchevy
There is nothing that the OP said that points to him needing pitman/idler support kits or cognito UCAs.

How do cognito UCAs work on a stock truck? Seeing as how they are designed to combat bad upper ball joint angles on cranked/keyed trucks. I would think they would have a bad angle on a stock height truck.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There is nothing that the OP said that points to him needing pitman/idler support kits or cognito UCAs.

How do cognito UCAs work on a stock truck? Seeing as how they are designed to combat bad upper ball joint angles on cranked/keyed trucks. I would think they would have a bad angle on a stock height truck.
Others posted to not bother replacing the upper ball joints and get new upper control arms. I was just stating I'd get cognito upper control arms as apposed to factory ones. If you're having to replace your ball joints I'd bet new pitman/idler arms are needed, just my experience.

My pickup is at stock ride height, maybe a little lower, and the angle of the upper ball joints is 100% better with them than the stock ones.

Yellowchevy

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I think you're crazy to replace the upper ball joint and bushings.

The whole new control arm is $110 from GM for a factory one with bushings and balljoint already installed. Saving the headache of dealing with the bushings and ball joint is priceless. No brainer. Especially since if you buy good moog ball joint and bushings, its probably gonna be like $75 or so. So why not spend the extra $30 or so and save yourself a ton of time, and you get a shiny new piece instead of the rusted original control arm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think you're crazy to replace the upper ball joint and bushings.

The whole new control arm is $110 from GM for a factory one with bushings and balljoint already installed. Saving the headache of dealing with the bushings and ball joint is priceless. No brainer. Especially since if you buy good moog ball joint and bushings, its probably gonna be like $75 or so. So why not spend the extra $30 or so and save yourself a ton of time, and you get a shiny new piece instead of the rusted original control arm.
Yep, no brainer is right.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Go with the whole control arm. Bought Moog ones off Amazon for less than OEM. Saves a bunch of time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
^x2!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts