Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,031 Posts
Now that we are getting more to the story, I'm agreeing with @ShopSpecialties and the up pipe gaskets need checked, and check the downpipe to be sure its seated properly as well. More than likely an up pipe gasket is what I'm thinking now

·
Registered
456 Posts
So to be clear, you pulled the entire turbo off the truck, replaced the wheel, then reinstalled? I thought you could do a wheel replacement in the truck. Anyway, if so, yes check your connections in the back. Assume its getting proper oil.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Upon further investigation… all connections are tight. It’s the turbo… Cheetah on order. At least it will be easier to get off this time since all the bolts are broken loose…

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,031 Posts
Just throwing this out there- the up pipe bolts might be tight, but are they bottomed out to tighten the pipes down all the way. Those bolts can have a tendency to get galled up and get tight, but not be tightened down all the way. Its happened to me before.
Since you are putting a cheetah on it, go ahead and buy new bolts and gaskets for the up pipes and hopefully save some headache there

·
Registered
759 Posts
I doubt it is the turbo unless you did something dumb like run it dry but you would have smoked it immediately upon fire up. IIRC the top 2 center up-pipe bolts will bottom out in the turbo and those are the most common ones to break or cause problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
”WHAT DID I DO WRONG” . Well what you did wrong is make a turbo that is unbalanced by swapping the wheel. It should be against the law to sell just a turbo wheel. A turbo MUST be balanced or it will blow up or what have ya.
SO is this just on the Duramax as we have installed a few Wicked Wheels on ford 7.3 & 6.0 Garrett Turbo's and never ran into any problems???

·
Registered
759 Posts
SO is this just on the Duramax as we have installed a few Wicked Wheels on ford 7.3 & 6.0 Garrett Turbo's and never ran into any problems???
No, he is wrong.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
Yes i know there are people out there that do it or they wouldn’t sell just a wheel. I saw first hand a turbo that blew because the guy put a batmowheel in. Cost him an intercooler plus a new turbo. Common sense tells me its not what you do on something that spins so fast.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes i know there are people out there that do it or they wouldn’t sell just a wheel. I saw first hand a turbo that blew because the guy put a batmowheel in. Cost him an intercooler plus a new turbo. Common sense tells me its not what you do on something that spins so fast.
Each wheel is balanced separately that is why you can do it. If there was an issue every single one would fail quickly. I have built about 10 turbos for people with aftermarket wheels and have not balanced a single one. Mine has the highest mileage with at least 250,000 miles and no issues.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts