Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trucks been having a problem stalling out a couple weeks ago. Where it would just randomly stall out after starting it. I went and bought the fuel filter head repair kit and replaced it last night and still have the same problem but stalls out more. What is going on!? Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
May be a dumb question but did you prime it? Sounds like if you did you didn't prime it enough. Make sure there is plenty of fuel in the tank, open the bleeder screw and pump the primer bulb up and down until not a single air bubble comes out. Since you took the housing off it may take you a good 10 minutes or so to prime it properly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, primed the shit outa it! Primped it so that all of the bubbles were out started it up 45 sec later it stalls out.

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
Still sounds like a priming issue. You could have possibly broken an O ring when rebuilding the filter head, one of your hoses could be loose etc. do you have any codes?

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
And I assume a new FF as well. Is your WIF sensor tight or leaking? Any spots of diesel on the ground?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup new ff everything is sealed as tight as can be no no fuel that I can see on the ground

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
Still sound like its not bled properly. If it was a bad CP3 you would get rail pressure code. If it were mine I'd spend some more time bleeding it. You do not have a lift pump correct?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill try that some more, yeah no lift pump. My rail pressure though is up and down. It'll go from 4.8 and drop to 3.6 at times

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
907 Posts
Those sound like injector balance rates. A idle your rail pressure should be somewhere around 5,000.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know that's what it says on my cts insight for fuel rail pressure

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My buddy in Austin, Tx had a 05 LLY. Had the same problem, would stall, prime, stall, prime, stall. Took into the stealership, they could'nt find anything. He had the truck for 8 mos, then got rid of it, traded it in for a Kia Forte.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its gotten so bad that it stalled out while driving and i lost power steering and almost got into an accident, took it to the stealership and they figured i had a cracked fuel filter head and replaced it. Went to pick it up and shit you not started it up and stalled it right in there parking lot....$280 later it still isnt fixed. Starting to get pissed

·
Hey Ass Man!
1,265 Posts
Did you take it back to the dealer? Did they show the old head to make sure it was cracked?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah it was definitely cracked
i didn't even move it from where they parked it yet. i walked in frustrated as hell and told them to find out what the hells wrong with my truck.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Try pressurizing the fuel system to look for the leak. You can do this by using a shopvac's pressure side and a rag to seal the opening to your tank fill. Build the pressure to about 10 psi then allow the pressure to hold there. Some have customised a fuel cap to attach compressed air without removing the cap, and it's worked well. The caps are cheap to replace. Attaching something like a tire air valve to your cap will allow you to do this easily.

When the pressure builds the leak will show. Air might try escaping first, then fuel will escape from the leak. It may take a while but you will find the problem this way fairly cheap... but fairly quick compared to what youve tried.

·
Hey Ass Man!
1,265 Posts
Don't the lly's have issues with the FICM wiring harness getting cut? Have you looked into that?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts