Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've had problems with starting and have to prime to start. I rebuilt filter head twice with the oring kit then over Thanksgiving weekend replaced filter head with a new one . Still have to prime to start. Not every time but almost. I do not have a lift pump so if I install lift pump will that solve problem? thanks in advance for any advice. I,ve had truck for one year and have not been able to fix this and would like to get it resolved. Kinda bad to have the work buds in truck to get some lunch and have to get out and prime the fuel. Truck has 208,000 miles.

Registered
Lift pump will solve your problems,But can be expensive. I would be suspect of the fuel lines. Pressure test the system see if you can find any leaks. The lines to and from the filter head are easy to replace. The ones under the truck are little more difficult. With age they all start to deteriorate and leak air. With all the work you've done to the filter head I doubt that's the problem. Good luck

Premium Member
When you replace the filter head with new, you should also replace the old,worn and cracked fuel lines there with bulk 1/2" fuel line. Rule those out 1st.

Premium Member
^^^ x2

Premium Member
Between 2-3 feet of bulk total for both.

Registered
could be a restriction in the lines? could be a weak cp3? A lift pump could help but you should still figure this out. On the lift pump, they are a great addition to the truck, easy on the cp3, filtration, air and water removal and constant RP. All which will make for a happy fuel system, happy inj, and happy owner!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up 4' of 1/2" fuel line on way home from work today. Will try to get it on tonight and give an update of the results. May have to wait till after Christmas for lift pump. Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed new fuel lines tonight. Primed and ran for a while. In the morning I'll see if that did the trick. The old fuel lines looked fine though. I'll give update tomorrow.
Fuel.jpg

Attachments

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update

Went out to go to work would not start and had to prime. Real disappointing.During break at work one of the guys was checking it out and saw fuel sitting in one of the cavities on top of housing. We pump the primer and more fuel was caught in the new housing that I installed Thanksgiving weekend. I contacted seller and they said to send it back and he will send another one. I re installed my old one and using it until I get the new one in. The guy at work has same truck and had same problem and he spent $500 at dealership to install new housing and it fixed his . I'm hoping when new housing comes in that will solve this problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts