Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was changing my oil today and noticed the rubber around the driveshaft center support bearing is starting to tear. I can't tell if the bearing is OK or not without taking everything apart. Anybody know if you can replace just the rubber cushion part if that's all that's needed? Got about 67K miles on LBCC, about 1/3 of that towing a 5th whee,l so driveline gets some stress....

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The driveline center support comes with the rubber, bracket and bearing. The bearing is a press fit and difficult to replace without a press.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
^Agreed... Not a fun job... actually a pain in the ass. If the bearing was bad, which I doubt it is with 67K on it, but if it is you would hear a growling noise when cruising.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Any advice on replacing it, besides marking the u joint for reassembly?

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I haven't done one on these duramaxes, but they are all pretty much the same. I always use a pneumatic cutoff wheel, or a sawzall and cut righ down to the inner bearin race so all you are left with is the inner race on the shaft. Then I cut the inner race on both sides with a cutoff wheel, or even a dremel cutoff tool will work, and remove the inner race from the shaft. Then it is just a matter of pressing the new one on. It's one of those jobs that have a bunch if different ways to do it, I've personally done them this way and it works fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts