Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to replace power and water pump at same time while I am in there. Not sure how to get resivoir off of old pump and do I need to take the crank damper off for the water pump. I am down hard at this point and NEED HELP:confused:

·
Vendor
332 Posts
What power steering pump you have will dictate if you need to take it apart. Might be worth going back and getting a pump w/ tank. That will make life easier and usually only a couple bucks more money.

As for the water pump, you will need to pull the balancer off to get at one of the nuts. The balancer bolt is pretty tight and getting the bolt loose can be fairly easy by wedging a ratchet in the frame rail and bumping the starter, however, tightening it is not so easy. You must hold the flywheel or somehow keep the engine from turning over to properly tighten it. Its very important that it gets tightened properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Water Pump

I had my 2001 Duramax water pump change. I took it to a FireStone Store they charged 700.00 4 days later they were very happy to get me out of their ,i think the next one they work on it will be a bit more if they do another happy i did not try to do it myself.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My o3 is in the shop right now for a leaking water pump. $700.00 labor, $300.00 for the pump. Lots of money, but somethings are worth the price not to have the headache.

·
Registered
89 Posts
what all consist of changing the water pump and the seals cus my 02 duramax is leaking bad i got an estimate from a shop for $600 so i decided to do it myself and wanted to know what all had to come off thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Waterpump

After reading several posts about doing it yourself I decided to have the shop do it. The cost was just under $800.00. I did not have all of the tools to do it myself. Just got it back from the shop and have to take it back monday as it leaks more now then it did. Should have invested in the tools.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts