Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 LBZ with 135k miles. Totally stock and just used for recreational/light towing. Steering box is leaking so I’m going to replace that with a blue top box. What else should I consider doing while I’m in there? i.e.pitman arm, idler arm, intermediate shaft, steering shaft bearing?? Feels pretty tight right now other than the typical clunk in the steering at low speeds over bumps so not sure what is worth doing.
Thanks

·
Registered
888 Posts
check your upper steering shaft bearing for the clunk. That's what mine was but i'm LMM. LBZ is a bit different.
I would check the pitman arm and replace if needed or if you got the $. You're already pulling it. Check the steering stabilizer but dont replace it unless needed. (I initially installed a Rancho and it made the steering stiff. Ended up going with a KYB)
Other than that, i agree with Kevin. If the parts are good, they're good.

I would suggest buying an extended hose to hook up to your idler arm. Its SO nice not having to get up in there to grease it. You can do this at anytime though.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Cognito PISK worked wonders for my LBZ. Steers better at 143k than when I bought it at 100k. I tow a 10k toyhauler

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Ended up putting a new intermediate steering shaft and upper bearing along with the blue top box. Feels great now, and no more clunking (at least for now haha)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks guys. Ended up putting a new intermediate steering shaft and upper bearing along with the blue top box. Feels great now, and no more clunking (at least for now haha)
Well I'm at 264K miles and uhhh, finally am rebuilding much if not all of my front end with DMax Store parts (getting ready to order today maybe)
See that you went with the Blue Top box, I'm sure after researching until your eyes popped out. How's that box working and what helped you finally pull the trigger versus OEM remanufactured, Red Head or the PSC (which says they are out of stock right now)? Thanks man -

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm at 264K miles and uhhh, finally am rebuilding much if not all of my front end with DMax Store parts (getting ready to order today maybe)
See that you went with the Blue Top box, I'm sure after researching until your eyes popped out. How's that box working and what helped you finally pull the trigger versus OEM remanufactured, Red Head or the PSC (which says they are out of stock right now)? Thanks man -
I wanted the PSC but couldn’t justify the price plus having to buy a new pitman arm. And, my truck is stock and just used for recreation, so felt OEM would be fine. I went with the blue top over red head based on reviews. So far, so good. No complaints, no slop, and easy to turn.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wanted the PSC but couldn’t justify the price plus having to buy a new pitman arm. And, my truck is stock and just used for recreation, so felt OEM would be fine. I went with the blue top over red head based on reviews. So far, so good. No complaints, no slop, and easy to turn.
Placed an order today for the Blue Top.......thanks for reply. Ordered the DMax Store Stage 2 front end kit with the Moog XD Idler and Pitman arms plus the Kryptonite Ball joints, swaybar endlinks, intermediate shaft and lower bearing. Oh yeah, and Bilstein 5100 shocks all the way with steering stabilizer shock......With all the miles on her, it's time for a full re-build. Overkill maybe but economy is recovering and feeling better about things.

Thanks again man -

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got the blue top, Cognito lift kit and upper control arms, rare parts tie rods, and Bilstein steering stabilizer, and they've all lasted nine years w 35s. Quality saves you time and money in the long run. Kryptonite makes great products too. Think you'll be happy with the upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts