Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 2004 Ford F350 SRW Powerstoke with 117000 miles at my local bank that is for sale for $10,500. I am going to buy it and fix a few things(dead batteries, broken driver mirror, new tires, fix the stack) and sell it to make some money. What do I need to look for and what is a common problem for this truck. I might keep it and paint it and use it for a work truck.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The motors tend to be big stinking hunks of shit that blow headgaskets very often

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
well it is a ford, and a 6.0. make sure they fixed the wiring harness, turbo and maybe even the motor. my uncle has a 04 and has gone though 2 harnesses, 4 turbos, and they changed the long block to a short block, he also had a few other problems with it, they also have the oil cooler system that goes bad on them. the 04 it about the worst year for the PSD, be careful in buying it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I dont think we will be keeping it. We arent Ford fans anyway..only own chevys..our whole business and private vehicles..but I think we still might buy it and sell it to make money..we are lookin at a 2004 chevy cc dmax with 193000 miles for 14..thatll be the next work truck addition.lol..anyone know where to get cheap 6ft utility beds.

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
Good luck with the flip. I'd check CraigsList for wrecked trucks with good beds, junkyards if they are reasonable in your area (around here they ask about full retail as if part were new, then you gotta haggle em down, real PITA and not how to do business IMHO.) Maybe a utility bed shop has one with damage that keeps them from selling easily but doesn't bother affect you? It's where I would start.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
6.0? Everything is a problem on those...lol
I knew a guy who deliberately searched for one even though...EVEN THOUGH he knew about all their freaking problems. I asked him "why?" and he said " because it's awesome". You literally have to be brain damaged to think that way imo.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I knew a guy who deliberately searched for one even though...EVEN THOUGH he knew about all their freaking problems. I asked him "why?" and he said " because it's awesome". You literally have to be brain damaged to think that way imo.
That is legit the dumbest thing i have ever heard :cookoo[1]:... the only reason i know some people buy them is you can get them pretty cheap sometimes

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
That is legit the dumbest thing i have ever heard :cookoo[1]:... the only reason i know some people buy them is you can get them pretty cheap sometimes
Oh he is a true hill billy moron. He has never given me a better reason than "they're awesome" for owning a ford....let alone a 6.0. He simply wants to do the red neck thing and have his ford and his suspenders and john deere and his shot gun that ol grand daddy hill billy gave him when he died........blahhhh

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
Most typical problem with the fords is right up at the front of the truck. They typically have one at the rear too, but the one up front is usually easier to locate. It will be right around the center of the grill area. If you look real close you will see an oval piece, inside of that it will say Ford, they are known to be blue backgrounds.

That Ford right there in the middle of that oval is the biggest problem with the entire truck!

Good Luck! Flip it before you have to drive it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Im not jumping on the band wagon here, I like Fords but I don't think it's worth much more than what they are asking... I bought an 04 CC Lariet short bed Dually a couple of years ago for 13,800 with 112500 miles and had issues. I thought it was in good shape..... I put about 5500 in the engine for a high pressure oil pump and a fuel control computer. This included labor of course. Only had it for about 12K miles.. Just pass on this.......

Steve

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I fixed and sold diesels for two years, if u are serious about buying it check the Coolant and oil first if it's sludge walk away if it's even milky walk away. The injectors are a problem, egr is a problem, if the egr goes u have likely if the oil cooler going, turbos do blow on them. Sometimes they aren't blown an just need a cleaning which is a pain but doable, if u can start it before u buy it make sure it runs smooth, if it runs rough it's more than likely the beginning of the injectors going put. Goodluck on the sale

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most typical problem with the fords is right up at the front of the truck. They typically have one at the rear too, but the one up front is usually easier to locate. It will be right around the center of the grill area. If you look real close you will see an oval piece, inside of that it will say Ford, they are known to be blue backgrounds.

That Ford right there in the middle of that oval is the biggest problem with the entire truck!
Two Thumbs Up!

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I have owned 11 of them. If you no what your doing they are just as good as any other truck. And my Duramax is the cheapest diesel I have bought yet to date. 04 cc sb 4x4 LT loaded with 98k. Now for the question. 03 and 04 is the bad years for a 6.0 they had the worst problems with EGR coolers, Head Gaskets, Studs stretching, Injectors, And high side pumps going out. Plus a few other things. But with just over 100k it shouldn't be to bad. BUT think of it this way. There's a reason why is got repo'd and was it cause they were broke? or tired of the problems with the truck So be careful.

P.S. I own a repo company!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rof

·
Registered
222 Posts
Start by headgaskets, then egr system!, then the FICM's are known to have problems. not to mention injector problems (alot of problems) also pull the intake tube going to the turbo see if the fins are chewed up!! ( most of the ones i have looked at are dusted) and that just leads to more problems. Look at the degass bottle see if its full. (that will help with any headgasket issues) another thing to always keep in mind is the late 03 and 04 trucks were the absolute worste for problems. imho i would leave it set!! I dont think you will ever get your money back out of it!!! hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts