Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all! :)

I am a l Cummins/Dodge owner and am seriously considering purchasing a new 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo to pull my 26ft 5th wheel.

Now I am sure everyone know of the "flaws" of the 24v Cummins as installed in the Dodge Ram: Terrific engine, but the Fuel pump(s) fail and they have a weak tranny.

I would really like some "straight poop" about what to expect from a Duramax in a Chevy 2500hd. I haven't heard much bad about them, but I wanted to check with owners. My neighbor has one, but has only owned it for less than a year. So he doesn't count.

To date, I have had to replace the VP44 injector pump twice :mad: (under warranty thank goodness) and one lift pump on my Dodge in 76K miles.

Any info would be appreciated.

Tim

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Well, in the 3 years that I have owned my truck, I haven't had any mechanical problems like that. The only problem that I have had is the steering shaft rattle and replacement of some front end componenets (3 Ball joints, idler & pitman arm; all in 46000 miles), but 2 of the ball joints were replaced because the boot blew and the joint got dry. The roads up here in alaska haven't been nice to my truck with the frost heaves. I have had a programmer on my truck ever since I owned it (bought it with one on it from the dealer). I have just kept the extra power to a conservative level. As far as lift pumps, duramax doesn't have one from the factory. I haven't heard of many injector pumps going bad on the duramax. I have been reading a couple of different forums since I bought my truck too. The allison is awesome and so smooth. I think the only thing that you may not like about the GM truck is the IFS....but they do ride pretty good....even better with a load IMO.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i have 100+k on my 05 dually and it has towed heavy for the first 66k and aveage of 22k 3 or 4X a week but lately i haven't done much towing except an occansional 10k to 15k every now and then and i never had it to the shop for anything other then a water pump seal at 95k miles but that wasn't the trucks faults and my 06 has 60k miles and never did anything but i hardly ever pull anything with that truck..

·
Registered
699 Posts
i looked into the dodge and just couldn't do it, i've had all chevys and always put 200k on them and this is the first diesel i've had "06 3500 srw lbz" and the only bad thing i can say with trailers is my last one was a 02 2500hd and the rear springs SUCK, go with the 3500 if going to pull more than just drivin empty, the 2500hd rides really nice empty and 3500 is rough until you get some wieght on the back but then it's nice and smooth

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 05 2500hd crew cab lifted 4" running Toyo open country MT's 35 12.5 20 and I had the idler and pitman arms changed at 7500 miles and they need to be done again at 30000 miles. Not real happy with the steering components on this truck at all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would by a GMC with the duramax and Allison just for the tranny alone. The duramax has plenty of power and I pull small excavators and skid steers all the time (12,000lbs roughly). I have well over 100k miles and just replaced the idle and pitman arm, no big deal. All in all its a great truck, engine adn tranny!
-------------------
03' GMC 2500HD
5" MBRP exhaust
Bully Dog Programmer
K&N Intake
Dick Cepek Tires

·
Registered
2 Posts
From Dodge to Chevy!!

My last two trucks were both Dodges. Loved both but got tired of adding aftermarket products to boost the power. In 06 I went shopping for the strongest truck on the market. Chevy with the LBZ, 360 HP engine and the 6 sp Allison is handsdown the ONE! I have a 2006 3500 crewcab dually, 4X4 and routinely pull a 35' 5th wheel. Loaded I'm at 23,000 gross weight and the truck pulls like a dream. Plenty of power and what a joy to drive. The truck is quite and "civilized". At 26,000 miles the only problem I've had is paying for the diesel. haha Seriourly, loaded I get 10 MPG and it doesn't seem to matter if I'm on cruise or not at 65 mph. One more thing, you won't need an aftermarket exhaust brake with this truck. The Allison in Tow Mode slows you down just fine on those long grades!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts