Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know on transmissions on other vehicles I've owned, the process to check the fluid level can be quite complicated. Not as simple as just pulling the dipstick like you check your oil. Rather than deal with this when I change my spin on filter, is there any reason not to just collect the fluid that comes out and pour it back in after?

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I know on transmissions on other vehicles I've owned, the process to check the fluid level can be quite complicated. Not as simple as just pulling the dipstick like you check your oil. Rather than deal with this when I change my spin on filter, is there any reason not to just collect the fluid that comes out and pour it back in after?
Don't do it!

You risk pouring contaminant from the dirty side of the filter back into the transmission.

Better to ignore the small amount lost or figure an amount of new fluid to add.

They hold 7.4 qt (7.0L).
Spin on doesn't hold much. If you'd want to estimate what is removed you could drain what is in the filter into a measuring cup (or whatever) and then add that much fresh fluid + a little bit to make up for what is soaked into filter media.

You might decide that the amount lost with the filter isn't worth worrying about.

If you do want to check the level, the procedure for checking the Allison is in the Diesel supplement.

If it's a pickup, it uses DEX-VI or one of the Allison TES-295 approved fluids.
They've approved a few more and removed one. There are currently 10 that are approved.
https://allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/on-highway-fluids

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
I think the spin on drains a cup. I wouldnt worry about it

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Good to know, I'll just go ahead and buy some new fluid then :)
It's a small filter. Swap it out and see how little you lose first.

The width of the HOT ban represents approximately 1.0 L
(1.06 qt) of fluid at normal operating temperature.

You may decide that compared to what it holds, it's not worth the bother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts