Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my tires and I'm thinking I'll need to swap the ring and pinion to compensate. I know that it probably won't matter much on trucks with so much power, but I recently did a ring and pinion swap on my Suzuki Sidekick and it made a world of difference and got back most of my fuel mileage that I was lacking. My main concern would be getting back my fuel mileage.

Did any of the 2500HD come with 4.10/4.11 gears? If they did, how would I go about knowing which ones did? Is there a code to look for in the glove box? Which years would be compatible for an 06 Silverado 2500HD? I'd really like to just take a complete chunk and do an R&R. How complex is the job? I'd like to DIY and save the funds that I would give a local 4x4 or tranny shop.

Any info would be great.

Original size tires = 245/75/16 = 30.46"
Upgrading to = 295/75/16 = 33.42"

This calculator will show the gears needed:
Gear Calculator

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my tires and I'm thinking I'll need to swap the ring and pinion to compensate. I know that it probably won't matter much on trucks with so much power, but I recently did a ring and pinion swap on my Suzuki Sidekick and it made a world of difference and got back most of my fuel mileage that I was lacking. My main concern would be getting back my fuel mileage.

Did any of the 2500HD come with 4.10/4.11 gears? If they did, how would I go about knowing which ones did? Is there a code to look for in the glove box? Which years would be compatible for an 06 Silverado 2500HD? I'd really like to just take a complete chunk and do an R&R. How complex is the job? I'd like to DIY and save the funds that I would give a local 4x4 or tranny shop.

Any info would be great.

Original size tires = 245/75/16 = 30.46"
Upgrading to = 295/75/16 = 33.42"

This calculator will show the gears needed:
Gear Calculator

Thanks,
For the tire size your planning to run a gear swap would be a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That is only a 10% difference, so no need to change R&P

1 - 3 of 3 Posts