Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Rock Tamer Installation

15K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  1Blue78 
#1 ·
While I'm waiting for my ATC 28FB Toy Hauler to be completed, I have been buying accessories needed for towing and using it. Today I got the Rock Tamer mud flaps which will mount to my Andersen w/d hitch that came last week. I won't get the trailer for another 3 weeks and have to travel across 3 states to pick it up.

I was excited to get everything ready and started to mount the system to the truck. Then I read the Rock Tamer instructions and realized I can't complete the installation until I pick up the trailer because they say not to cut the flap length until you have your truck loaded to your towing weight. You cut the length from the top of the flap, then I need to cut a hole in the right flap for my exhaust, so I need to get the length correct before I cut the hole.

Can anyone tell me how about how far my suspension will settle on a 2500 Duramax 4WD single rear wheel? I don't want to cut these things and end up too long or too short, and I would like to avoid spending an extra hour building them in the RV dealer's lot. My estimated tongue weight will be about 1000 pounds. How much will my suspension drop using a w/d hitch?

I also have a painted bumper and plan to mount the flaps lower with the brackets nearly horizontal, just below the bumper to avoid having rocks ricochet up from the flaps and hit the back of the bumper. They are going to be really close to the exhaust. I don't plan to modify the exhaust. The mud flaps will only be on when I'm towing.

I've included pics for an example of what I plan to do. The first two are not my truck, but the last picture is my actual exhaust.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't cut a hole in the flap, it looks like azz. All I did was bolt a 8" wide piece of aluminum on the outside edge of the flap, been thru numerous regens without any melting what so ever. I have a 5th wheel so can't tell you how far a bumper pull will sag the truck, if the hitch is set-up properly, it should hardly drop the truck at all.

#3 ·
I like your idea. If worried about heat you can always "stack" them, meaning put 2 plates together with a 1/4" spacer between them and that will block a lot of heat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: a109driver
#6 ·
I have considered it. I'm just not sure if modifying the exhaust has any effect on the warranty of the truck. This is the newest truck I've ever had, so I'm not really familiar with warranties. I'm still getting used to free oil changes.

Also, a modified exhaust is the most expensive fix to the problem, so I was considering it as a final solution, but that might be what I end up doing eventually. I still don't have my trailer, so there's plenty of time to decide.

#7 ·
I was able to get leftovers from a local diesel shop. Think tip & pipe was about $100. Understandably not the cheapest but it is a lil cleaner.
To answer your original question, with an equalizer hitch & about 1300# tongue with no air in bags, my trucks squats about 3”. Like previous comment, if your hitch is properly set up, your squat should be a couple inches at most IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I had the same problem with my Rock Tamers. I literally melted my flap due to the exhaust. I contacted RT and they sent me a replacement flat for free, and they gave me the info on this heat shield. I ordered it from Amazon for about $30. It's the Access (80807) Heat Shield. We just got back from a long trip to Canada and it worked perfectly.

Attachments

#15 ·
Dave,

Curious to hear how this heat shield is working for you? I have a new trailer on order and would like to add some protection for it!

#14 ·
I like that heat shield Dave, but I had already turned out my exhaust before I saw it. I think the heat shield would have been less expensive than the $76 I spent to turn the exhaust out. I kept the plain OEM exhaust tip, but it's cut a little shorter to keep it flush with the body and it's painted black. You can see the before and after pictures below.

I've road tested the Rock Tamers for about 30 miles and had no problems. I also have my flaps set as close to the bottom of my bumper as possible to (hopefully) prevent rocks from ricocheting off the flaps into the back of my bumper since it's painted, not chrome. I Plastidipped the Rock Tamer logo on the flaps to look more like the truck.

Attachments

#18 ·
I did install the rock tamer heat shield but still had issues with it melting the rubber so I picked up a piece of galvanized sheet metal, cut and bent it to fit with about 1/2" air gap then put the rock tamer shield on top of that. It works great now, pick attached. They aren't on my truck and a bit dirty but you get the idea...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.