Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil after about 4k miles of use and I always drain my oil back into the gallon jugs. I was running the Rotella Synthetic T-6 or whatever and I was short about 2 quarts. I was wondering if anybody else experienced this with other oils?

·
Registered
576 Posts
hmmm, I have a 12 quart drain bucket, when I drain mine it's MAXED out! So I assume from that I don't have the problem you have.. you obviously have no leaks either. I wonder if it's something simple like there is more than a gallon in each container or did ya measure it. I really have no idea :) Good luck figuring that out!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Rotella Synthetic by all accounts is great oil, I personally have never used it but I have never heard anything bad about it. As for oil consumption, yours seems a bit high for 4K miles. How hard do you work the truck? Do you run it hard? Have you performed oil analysis to see if there is an issue internally?

Some oil consumption is considered acceptable, but like I stated, yours is a little high. I have an LB7 and I rarely have to top it off, I know they are apples and oranges, but I have also seen trucks like mine that use oil constantly.

For more information about oil consumption HERE is a recent article posted on this forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts