Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing my 1st oil change , always used Rotella synthetic T6 , but now I read that they recommend dexos additive or the Castrol stuff , is it ok to use T6 in this 16 duramax ?
Did a quick search and didn’t come up with anything

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
572 Posts
Running Rotella t5 then T6 when I found a reliable source for 50k

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't run my oil up to anywhere near 50k but I have been running T6 for....I would say the last half dozen oil changes. I usually change my oil about every 5k.

In any event I have nothing but good things to say about it. Great price point and keeps my engine running smooth. I have never done an oil analysis on it from my engine but from what I've read in other posts its showm decent results in oil analysis reports.

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
572 Posts
Clarify.. I change oil at 6k miles. Sooner if I am about to make a long trip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use T6

Reactions: ragweed

·
Registered
330 Posts
Any oil that meets the certifications in your manual. T6 exceeds their recommendations. I just switched from T4 to AMSOIL myself. I was hoping for a quieter engine, I think it is a little bit, but could be in my head...It did make a noticeable difference in my 105hp Kubota tractor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am not trying to thread jack here but has anyone run redline oil? I hear nothing but the best things about redline.

I haven't run it myself but out of what I have run in my truck, it was always quite and the smoothest on Mobile 1 full synthetic 5w40.

I have AMSOIL sitting in the garage that's what I am putting in next change. We will see how that does. I need to get into these oil analysis kits that's seems to be the one and only true way to see how well the oil and engine alike are doing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Doing my 1st oil change , always used Rotella synthetic T6 , but now I read that they recommend dexos additive or the Castrol stuff , is it ok to use T6 in this 16 duramax ?
Did a quick search and didn’t come up with anything
If it meets GM std which I am sure it does there is no issue.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW LB
67 Posts
I’ve run T6, amsoil ,Royal P ,Chevr Mobil Delvac and synthetic.
t6 was noisey and oil consumption went up
Amsoil was the noisiest of the bunch but not much consumed.
Royal purple was somewhere between T6 and Amsoil.
The Chevron semi-synthetic was as good as the Delvac in my opinion and at a similar price point.
Delvac was quiet and Mobil Synthetic was by far the quietest with least consumption.

I am currently running Mobil Delvac as that’s what the dealer used for my first free-be.

I was very disappointed with the Amsoil as we run it in our racing bikes and I love it. I was hoping to use it in my truck as well.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I recall hearing that T6 had changed their formulation in some sort and might not even be a diesel related issue?

Up where I am it's about C$45-50/gallon which is too steep for my liking.

I run a reputable dino 15W40 myself year round, and even at -25C, truck starts just fine with block heater plugged in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts