Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Folks,
I started getting the P0087 low fuel rail pressure code (yeah, I know there's tons of threads on it) at WOT and when towing my 5th wheel. I have read a ton trying to figure it out to no avail yet. I tried shimming the FPRV, and changing the fuel filter. I tried commanding the fuel rail pressure up to 26k with the tech 2. It did fine when the engine was cold. I tried it again after it was at operating temp and noticed that around 10k it started running crappy. If I kept going up it would smooth out and run crappy again at certain intervals. I'm stumped on this one. I am thinking about putting a lift pump on it, but I don't have tons of money to throw parts at it and hope it works. I do run a bully dog tuner and it does this in every power level including stock. Truck has 107k miles, so no warranty. Any help greatly appreciated!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Find a friend locally that can data log desired vs actual rail pressure and see what is happening.

1. Weak CP3
2. Bad fuel filter
3. Pulse Width the CP3 can't keep up with.
4. Had FPR
5. Popping FPRV
6. Collapsing Fuel lines
7. Something in line or pick up tube

These are just a few ideas of things that might cause your issues. Data logging will help identify which it looks like to give you better an idea where to start troubleshooting. Also can identify when the issue is arising.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts