Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’m pretty sure I have the answer already, but I’ll ask it anyways.
My new to me dmax seems to ride awfully freaking rough in the front.
Previous owner had a leveling kit installed, and by the looks of it they just changed out torsion keys and cranked them, not all the way but still enough to be an issue I think.

I think the upper a arms are contacting the stops causing a rough ride. When the truck is just sitting there is only about a 1/4” of space in between the a arm and stop. When I jacked up truck from crossmember to look at the droop the arms were sitting on the stops...surprise surprise.

When I towed my 28 foot TT the ride was atrocious! Which makes sense, loading rear of truck lifts front end even more leaving less space between a arm and frame.

Does this sound about right to you guys? I despise leveling kits in general, but how do I go about fixing it? Cognito arms?

·
Registered
774 Posts
You should be able to look at the bottom of the Upper control arm and the top of the droop stop and see wear from where they are coming into contact if that's the case. Also, look at your CV angles. In a perfect world they should be flat. Anytime you turn those keys or replace them you are going to loose ride quality. I turned my stock keys up to clear 35's on stock wheels, but along with that I installed Cognito UCAs, front diff spacers, bilstein 5100 shocks and the cognito pitman and idler arm support brackets and it rode pretty good for cranking the keys up.

On my current set up im on 31.5 nitto 420s with -25 offset wheels so i put in a 2" drop shackle and matched the front with the rear and the ride is damn good. IDK what your set up is but id put a drop shackle in the rear you can do 1" or 2" and do front diff spacer (they are cheap) and upper control arms to give you more clearance. May have to do norcal mod for trimming if youre running larger tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strangely enough when I looked to see if there were contact marks between the UCA and droop stop, there weren’t any, there is an impression of the uca but for the most part just undisturbed rust on the stop.

I have a new intermediate shaft coming any day now, I know they aren’t as big of a problem on these trucks as they were the OBS. But it’s a little loose anyway.

I’ve seen guys do the reverse level and it’s a great idea, wish I could have gotten the truck stock.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yea a 1/4" clearance is no bueno. Need to have at a minimum 3/4" really 1". Get some aftermarket UCA's, front diff spacers, and loosen the bolts on the keys and drop the rear. You will be very happy in the ride quality between the 2. The drop shackle is very easy to install. Just did mine the other night changing it from 1" to 2" drop and it only took me about an hr from tools out to tools up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea a 1/4" clearance is no bueno. Need to have at a minimum 3/4" really 1". Get some aftermarket UCA's, front diff spacers, and loosen the bolts on the keys and drop the rear. You will be very happy in the ride quality between the 2. The drop shackle is very easy to install. Just did mine the other night changing it from 1" to 2" drop and it only took me about an hr from tools out to tools up.
Can you tell us what brand shackle you used? Thanks

·
Registered
774 Posts
The drop shackle I used is Mcgaughys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I managed to get the new intermediate shaft in tonight, it definitely cleaned up a lot of the nasty feedback I was getting through the wheel.

The old shaft had a bunch of rust on it and was pretty well froze up, whereas the new one slides freely in and out.

As for the rest of my front end I think I might be good for the moment. I’ll find out when I tow my Tt again.

Thinking that I may have been spoiled with the ride in my 2012 Yukon Denali. I’ve also only ever owned 1/2 ton trucks, the HD rides stiffer in general.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not fun when these ride rougg, i regret installing the lift on mine, but its a weekend driver so i can deal with it. Lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts