Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall
For the past month ive had nothing but electrical problems, killing my batteries. its a long story, but i installed a radio in december and almost a month ago, my batteries started draining. I found a small culprit to the issue that semi fixed it, but it would start sometimes but sometimes wouldn't. Not sure why. Anyway, i narrowed it down to possibly being something with my aftermarket head unit. It is a pioneer MVH-622bs, and im using the pac rp5-gm11 thing, and i tested fuses with a multimeter, and found that when i pulled the radio fuse, the draw would go away. So i unplugged the radio and left the pac interface in, and found it was drawing power and wasnt when it wasnt plugged in. I did check my wiring, but it is weird how it randomly would go bad. It worked perfect for all of january then just started draining my batteries, i had to replace both batteries and my alternator is good. I want to ask if anyone else has had this problem and if any fixes besides replacing the whole unit have worked? Its worth a try so i dont have to shell out another $100 into this truck for some bullsh*t lol. My truck is an 06 2500hd lbz btw.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Get the wiring diagram for your truck here and see what else is on the circuit you are having problems with. It isn't the radio, but something else on the circuit for that fuse is causing problems. GM UPFITTER - Body Builder Manuals
Look for the ELECTRICAL MANUAL for your year and model of truck. Find the radio fuse (probably called RDO) and follow from there to the radio and chime module or anything else. Maybe splices along the way, which will make the task harder.

·
Registered
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.6 LLY, crew cab, EFI Live, Air Dog II, 280k miles, runs like new.
2 Posts
Hey yall
For the past month ive had nothing but electrical problems, killing my batteries. its a long story, but i installed a radio in december and almost a month ago, my batteries started draining. I found a small culprit to the issue that semi fixed it, but it would start sometimes but sometimes wouldn't. Not sure why. Anyway, i narrowed it down to possibly being something with my aftermarket head unit. It is a pioneer MVH-622bs, and im using the pac rp5-gm11 thing, and i tested fuses with a multimeter, and found that when i pulled the radio fuse, the draw would go away. So i unplugged the radio and left the pac interface in, and found it was drawing power and wasnt when it wasnt plugged in. I did check my wiring, but it is weird how it randomly would go bad. It worked perfect for all of january then just started draining my batteries, i had to replace both batteries and my alternator is good. I want to ask if anyone else has had this problem and if any fixes besides replacing the whole unit have worked? Its worth a try so i dont have to shell out another $100 into this truck for some bullsh*t lol. My truck is an 06 2500hd lbz btw.
I've had some very strange issues with my 2005 2500 LLY. I believe the rp5-gm11 is the culprit. Battery drainage, then gauges/ front windows, ac not working but truck ran fine. Took out Rp5-gm11 truck ran great for awhile, then starts acting crazy again (like the timing is off) , so plug radio/ Rp5-gm11 back in, everything is all good except radio don't work.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Hey yall

yes, this can happen. It is rare but i have seen it a few times. easiest thing to do would be to warranty the box out from PAC (or the store you got it from if they will do it) and replace it. That is one of if not the best harness available for that truck, so dont think that its bad hardware, you just have a dud. ive replaced maybe a handfull of those for this reason over the years i was an installer. If you really want to have a bad time, switch it out for the Metra version.

If you are done with the pac hardware, since its an 06 and you wont have onstar access anyway, i would delete the harness, and run an accessory wire to the brown or orange wire at the ignition switch (make sure to fuse it) and use a standard radio harness with no module for your constant, ground and speaker wires. If you have a bose amp, you will need to use the bypass harness clipped to the back side of the radio basket instead of the main radio harness to bypass the bose amp for this type of install, dont worry, it will probably sound better without the bose amp. You will loose door/idiot chimes and turn signal clicks as well as the analog onstar you cant use anyway if you do this though.

Edit:

point of clarity for anyone else reading this, with the analog to digital switch in 06, GM vehicles 06 and back had analog onstar systems, that are not comparable with the digital system and are just paperweights at this point. There was a limited time option to convert them to the digital system, but very few were done so odds are high if you have an 06 or older GM that the onstar does not, and can not work in its factory configuration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts