Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my EfiLive and requested the tunes to have the rumble idle. They set it the way I wanted it but they gave me a half page warning saying the rumble tune could cause my veins to stick or clog. I know several people are running the rumble tune, has anyone ever had any issues with it? I can't seem to find any other warnings or people complaining about those issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is the first I have heard of this. I'm newly upgraded to efilive but haven't had any issues

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had efi live since I deleted my truck. About 6 months now. But my tuner was a lite tuner from anarchy diesel. I had to upgrade to get more tunes and the ability to custom tune. They told me the rumble tune was at my own risk because it keeps the veins open so the truck doesn't warm up as fast and the veins could possibly clog.

I've never heard of any problems from anyone using the tunes. I know several people use the rumble tune.

·
Registered
387 Posts
No issues here.

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
I have heard that with rumble tunes it takes a bit more time to warm up. The vanes do a sweep at idle to help prevent the vanes from sticking no matter if its a hiss or rumble tune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I installed the new tune and took it for a drive. I'm not sure if it's right... when I started the truck it still hissed even after idling for about 5 mims. The truck was at normal operating temp.
As soon as I put the truck in drive the hiss stopped and very nice rumble started. While driving the rumble is much more notable but the turbo seems like it has a lot of lag, like the veins aren't working while driving. After parking again the idle hissed as normal.it's almost like they tuned the veins backwards.

It may be normal for all I know but it definitely doesn't sound like the rumble idle a bunch of people have on the LML.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
96 Posts
My truck will warm up to operating temp then start to rumble in park.When I step on the gas it changes into a hiss until it idles back down then goes back to rumble.

That does sound backwards

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
My truck only hiss 10 seconds when first started then 10 seconds every 10-15 mins.

·
unknown known most
15,249 Posts
Just going thru it's cycles op....nothing to worry about......just drive it ha

Email whoever did your tunes and ask for rumble tunes...should be free

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
When you hear the rumble the vanes are closing usually showing around 90% -100% (closing) and down to around 60% (opening), only at idle the rumble effect is there.
If you have a Edge Insight just monitor the turbo vane position in your pids.

Also I've never heard of anyone that had any turbo problems with a rumble tune.

I have both hiss and rumble with my tunes, but now I prefer the hiss, which basicly is the stock turbo function.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Literally, I was just told the exact same thing! I got the hiss sound. Only have rumble for a second or 2 (randomly) And I was asking my mechanic. He said they told him they won't do the rumble tube bc it changes the VGT and will cause you severe hesitation/dead spot at idle. SMH...…………………………… Like how bad have you guys notice this type of situation? Like am I just going to be replacing the VGT sensor constantly(how many miles/times until???) Im so confused why? Is their not a way to bypass this headache?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I don’t know what I was thinking when I posted what I did.
Hiss tune when idling the turbo vane position sensor will show around 70%-80% closed which will create a little more back pressure leading to possible turbo whistle hissing while idling.

Rumble tune idling the turbo vane position sensor will show anywhere between 8% up to about 50% up and down giving you the rumble effect depending on the tuners rumble tune.
Usually varying about 10%-20% up and down.

I have 4 different EFI tuners rumble tune they all are a little different but none runs above 50% idling.
My ATP rumble tune will vary between 8%-about 30% idling, opening more allowing more air thru giving you a rumble effect.

After I posted above almost 4 years ago, I prefer the rumble effect while idling.
I feel your mechanic or whoever is telling him that this might be causing damage might be smoking something.
As soon as your foot touches the throttle the rumble goes away, no dead spots.

This might sound a little hokey but what I feel is with hiss the exhaust stink was a little more with the vanes closed more, compared to rumble being open more allowing more air thru idling.
Since then I put my stock cat back on still using my rumble tunes only.

Since I started using EFI (3/2012) my first tune was a hiss tune then I followed up getting a rumble tune to compare.
ATP (6/2012) I have both rumble tune and hiss tunes, the other 2 tuners are rumble tunes.

Factory tuning is the same as hiss to keep’er quieter while idling.

If you really want to know get something that’ll monitor the “Turbo Vane Position Sensor”.
Something like the Edge Insight, then the wondering what I have will end.

If the numbers stay around 70%-80% idling you gots hiss.
If they’re closer to 8%-50% and stay around these numbers while idling you gots rumble, based on my EFI tuners tunes.
Duramax Tuner, ATP, MotorOps, RidgeRunner.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don’t know what I was thinking when I posted what I did.
Hiss tune when idling the turbo vane position sensor will show around 70%-80% closed which will create a little more back pressure leading to possible turbo whistle hissing while idling.

Rumble tune idling the turbo vane position sensor will show anywhere between 8% up to about 50% up and down giving you the rumble effect depending on the tuners rumble tune.
Usually varying about 10%-20% up and down.

I have 4 different EFI tuners rumble tune they all are a little different but none runs above 50% idling.
My ATP rumble tune will vary between 8%-about 30% idling, opening more allowing more air thru giving you a rumble effect.

After I posted above almost 4 years ago, I prefer the rumble effect while idling.
I feel your mechanic or whoever is telling him that this might be causing damage might be smoking something.
As soon as your foot touches the throttle the rumble goes away, no dead spots.

This might sound a little hokey but what I feel is with hiss the exhaust stink was a little more with the vanes closed more, compared to rumble being open more allowing more air thru idling.
Since then I put my stock cat back on still using my rumble tunes only.

Since I started using EFI (3/2012) my first tune was a hiss tune then I followed up getting a rumble tune to compare.
ATP (6/2012) I have both rumble tune and hiss tunes, the other 2 tuners are rumble tunes.

Factory tuning is the same as hiss to keep’er quieter while idling.

If you really want to know get something that’ll monitor the “Turbo Vane Position Sensor”.
Something like the Edge Insight, then the wondering what I have will end.

If the numbers stay around 70%-80% idling you gots hiss.
If they’re closer to 8%-50% and stay around these numbers while idling you gots rumble, based on my EFI tuners tunes.
Duramax Tuner, ATP, MotorOps, RidgeRunner.
Oh I know, i have the edge cts2 monitor. And I do watch VGT %s. I'm usually 87%-89% idle. When driving I sometimes(when letting off throttle) will go to 0%. Then goin downhill (exhaust brake enabled) I'm at 100%. I'm wanting rumble. But I'm being told it's worse than better

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Oh I know, i have the edge cts2 monitor. And I do watch VGT %s. I'm usually 87%-89% idle. When driving I sometimes(when letting off throttle) will go to 0%. Then goin downhill (exhaust brake enabled) I'm at 100%. I'm wanting rumble. But I'm being told it's worse than better
I don't buy into whoever is telling you this, if it was bad none of the reputable tuners would have been doing the rumble tune.
Variable turbo needs to keep moving, besides it only doing the rumble effect (allowing more airflow) cycling a little when idling, while driving if this was a bad thing for the turbo vanes what do they think about them opening and closing constantly while driving would this be a bad thing as well. 'dunno; don't think so.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anarchy Diesel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts