Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
wondering the same thing. curious to know if the quality is just as good as the sinister kit or if it is a kit that shouldn't even be considered.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks! Mainly looking at the kit that Rudys offers because of the pricing. Didn't seem logical to spend a ton of money on sinister or other brand if there is no quality difference and all parts hold up the same. Im very inexperienced in this area but was looking ahead at the fact that if I saved money by buying a cheaper kit that is the same quality as the more expensive kit I could put the saved money towards other performance parts. Seeking more info as to whether or not any of the kits are better quality or preferred over the others.

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
I highly recommend going with the SDP EGR delete tube and an up pipe. This is a more expensive setup but you will have a better setup. What I have seen with the heavy duty egr caps that block the up-pipe is they allow the up-pipe to twist and crack the bellows. They you are having to do an unplanned repair.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The kit rudys sells that I have pulled up on ebay has the exact same parts as the sinister delete kit with intake tube for $825.00 on the sinister site. The kit rudys offers is $219.99. Its the same exact kit, im just looking for someone to justify that the sdp kit is or isn't better quality parts than what rudys offers in their kit. Throw in the up pipe and your looking at $1220 for the sinister kit opposed to the $470 you could have invested in the kit from rudys. Its all showing the same exact parts list, im just wanting someone to shoot me some honest info on the quality difference of the parts rather than try to make a dollar on someone who isn't as educated in this field.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm hoping someone was using Rudy's that could give us some insight I hate paying for names

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
You also get the quality for what you pay for.

The Sinister kit I have now costs something like $365 ($250 when I bought mine) throw in a up-pipe if you don't want to use the thick block plate in the kit for around $225.
I liked the idea of retaining the stock look and the grid heater.
I'm not having any issues at this time, that doesn't mean I won't.
If I have problems I'll just have to fix it, if I don't I've saved a few $$$.

If I was much younger, raced around and wanted as much power as I could get, I would have gone with something like SDP (a provin quality name) and a LB7 up-pipe.

If your dead set on Rudy's kit and since you have not gotten a positive response on this thread and the others you or someone else has asked the same question.
Please give us some feedback on what you think if you end up going with Rudy's.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Very tempted to give it a try just for kicks. My main concern was I didn't want to take the cheaper route just to find out the parts were made of lesser quality metal or if the kit was known to have fitment issues. Then again I didn't want to pay $500 more for a name brand kit of the same exact parts and hear of others really liking the cheaper kit after I spent the money on the more expensive. May give the cheaper kit a try and post my results.

Reactions: big j

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's why I'm waiting to hear from someone here with a Rudy's if not I'll get sinistet because everyone talks good about them

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Go for it :thumb

Have either one of you guys done a google review of Rudys cheaper stuff?
Or just asking on the forums where so far no one has heard of or used Rudy's stuff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No I haven't googled reviews on rudys parts, truthfully I didn't even think to because I have been able to find what info I wanted to know on the forums in the past lol. I probably should have done that before asking on here but thought maybe it was a brand that was commonly used.

LML6600DMAX, Thanks for the info! Im gonna give it a shot and hope for the best!

Thanks again guys for the info!!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
You'll get more truthful experience on the forums.
On Google reviews it could depend on how many friends Rudy has.

If you do search you'll find a unhappy Powerchoke customer, but Rudy does have a good BBB rating.

You can also buy ratings with the BBB, by paying the membership fees.

"Good luck"

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Some people continue to believe that they are going to find some crazy deal that thousands of diesel enthusiasts have some how managed to miss. It's $200 for a reason. You can get leather seats in a Hyundai, but it's not a Mercedes. You're tearing into vital areas of a $10,000 motor and after several Internet searches (which I hope you did) you find nothing positive or even discussing the kit. Yet you still believe to to be equal to manufacturers which have provided spectacular products to the diesel industry for sometimes 20 years or more. The $89 Ebay tail lights aren't Recons. They never will be. Who would really look at 2 kits one costing $800 and another costing $200 and believe them to be the same?! These questions have been asked thousands or times about various ebay and amazon knock offs. The result is always the same. They don't fit, are engineered poorly, poor quakity materials, etc, etc ad nauseum, and now your stuck not only buying the more expensive kit, but having to redo or worse yet pay for the install a second time.
As for being exactly the same... off of the top of my head the $800 Sinister kit supplies a new up pipe that the Rudy's kit does not. Do you know what is necessary to do an EGR delete??

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Amen Brother!

Now to find what quality product you would like made in the USA and search for the best prices, at least that's what I do.

Reactions: rknight

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Like I said my experience was with a powerstroke and came with the block off plates and intake elbow. It was good quality stuff.

That said I have no idea what their quality is with dmax stuff (they are partial to the powerstroke world) or what all comes in their kit.

I would support some of the vendors on the site before ordering from rudys, but that's just me.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Understand completely, and yes I noticed that the rudys kit didn't come with the downpipe but that could still be bought separately and still be under what you would pay for the sinister kit. Basically I was just looking for some good honest opinions and advice on the quality of the product and whether or not someone has used the product and could say yes its very similar in quality or no its junk and they wouldn't recommend it. I also understand that it is dealing with the vitals of a 10k dollar motor, that's the reason I am trying to find answers on the quality of this kit. These trucks cost too much to not do research, if I didn't care about the vitals of my truck I would have ordered it and slapped it on without questioning others. My intentions were not to try and degrade the sinister product line, I know they make great products. I am very inexperienced in working with a dmax, just bought my truck 3 weeks ago, I have always drove cummins, so Im just looking for helpful info to educate myself so that I make the right choices when the time comes to purchase this kit. Seeing the $219 price it just automatically made me question the quality of the parts.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's expensive and the big down side is that theres little to no power gain for us stock turbo guys. Ive done so much research and bothered SO many members about experiences and such. What I ended up doing was buying an LB7 up pipe from a member for $100 shipped. It was a great deal, but they are out there. Then what I SHOULD HAVE DONE was waited for an SDP or Profab, Wherli, HSP, makes one I think... anyway one of those GOOD kits to come up in the for sale forums. Even doing that I wasn't sure if there may be some small hose or fitting missing... so I ended up buying a new EGR delete kit from Rick at Profab. He is very easy to get a hold of and stands behind his product 100%. That being said I went with Profab over SDP simply because it was about $60 cheaper than SDP. Scott at SDP was AWESOME and I will probably go through them for my LML.. since the down pipe has to come out I bought an MBRP downpipe for $130 from a sponsor. So all in I've got all the stuff to do the delete (Rick even includes a brace to keep the pipe from blowing out of the Y bridge) and a new downpipe for about $500? I'd really suggest doing the downpipe in the install process, but if you are looking for bottom dollar.. a member on here got a Profab pipe for $150 shipped and Rick sent him a few fittings for free just because he is like that. So if you keep your eyes open you could realistically land the parts to do it this way for well under $300...
Boost leaks are terrible to chase down, up pipes crack and they are a pain to get to.. fitting blow out... that up pipe cracks and you could be stranded on the side of the road. More than likely paying $100 to a tow truck. There are literally no problem spots left doing it my way.
That being said my whole setup is still sitting in the box since I don't trust myself to tackle it.. so I should've waited for a better deal. That's my whole hearted suggestion. Can you imagine the hassle if you are missing a fitting, something doesn't line up.. how much is piece of mind worth to you?

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
is anyone using rudys egr delete they seem pretty reasonably priced thanks

wondering the same thing. curious to know if the quality is just as good as the sinister kit or if it is a kit that shouldn't even be considered.
Want the best bang for your buck by getting rid of the stock restrictive Y-bridge..
=
=

=

1 - 20 of 39 Posts