Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Rumble or lope tune ????

15K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  Brennan 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
A quick question....I am looking to do an EFI live program on my 2011 2500HD and was curious about the lope /rumble tunes. I see most companies offer them. They say it would be on all 5 or 6 tunes in the autocal, if you choose to add it. I like the idea of the truck not sounding like a blender but I do not want to harm the truck if that is a possibility? Any thoughts on ups and downs of adding this to the tuning package. Thank You very much for your time.

#2 ·
Lope tunes are hard on motors just get the rumble tune

#3 ·
Its your truck do what you want. If you really care about it you will not get either. Im not a mechinic. I am still a newbie on duramax engines. I do know they are not suppose to smoke, lope or rumble.

#4 ·
Huh? Mine smokes hard on my big tunes, you are right that lopes are bad for your motor, as for the rumble all it is is simply adjusting the veins at idle.

#5 ·
The rumble is just fine, like the guy above me said its just adjusting the veins at idle, the second you blip the throttle it will start whistling again.

You DO NOT want lope or smoke tunes, a little puff while driving is fine but don't get a tune made to just smoke.

#6 ·
:cookoo[1]: come on really, what benefit will you get from a lope tune or rumbe tune do, other than stupid and hard on the engine. want a lope or rumble tune get a v8 with a cam. Good tuners wont offer them anyways and do yourself a favor and get a quality tuner

#7 ·
As stated earlier a rumble tune is just the veins in the turbo. From stock they either rumble or whistle like a vacuum cleaner. I have rumble idle in my tunes, my tunes come from ATP I assure you their tuning is top notch and not hurting my truck. BTW rumble idle sounds awesome.

#8 ·
My tunes are from PPEI and are rumble also. As stated multiple times rumble idle just opens the veins on the turbo while its idling to make it rumble. It doesn't sound like a gasser with a cam but like my LB7 did.

#9 ·
Is the op confusing lope and hiss? When I was shopping for a tuner none of the ones I looked at offered a lope tune. Not that it mattered cuz if they did I still wouldn't have bought it.

#11 ·
If you wanna see something very cringe worthy, look up lope tunes on youtube. I wasn't really sure what they were so I did and thought "Oh hell no!! I'm not doing that to my truck"

#13 ·
I ordered mine from Erick (Konahoss) this past week and got rumble and hiss idles....no lope tunes, they sound horrible to me and are bad on your engine...that guy was right it's ur truck do what u want. But if u decided to go with lope tune and something messed up then you would get a lot of "I told you so" statements ha IMO rumble sounds the best to me as well

#26 ·
Kory Willis don't offer them...this is from their website...

*PPEI does NOT build smoke/lope tunes*

And he's the best tuner IMO
Read whats been posted before you...

Lope and Rumble are COMPLETELY different, Lope changes the injector timing and pulse width to make it sound like it has a big cam in it. Rumble tone has nothing to do with changing any timing or pulse width just opening the veins at idle so you dont hear the whistling sound.

Rumble tone is perfectly fine for our trucks.

I do believe good sir YOU should read whats been posted before you. This guy agreed with everyone else saying that lope=bad and rumble=jus a sound. The OP was confused and said he though all tuners offered a "lope" tune and this guy just said that kory does not offer one.

#14 ·
It's bad enough when you go onto YouTube looking for EFI videos and they're all lope and smoke tunes, gives off a bad impression that those tunes are "cool". Well, if you care about your truck you'll stay away from anyone who offers smoke and lope. This is the first time I've heard of "rumble" tunes, seeing as how I have an 02 it's not surprising.

#18 ·
Being new to all of this I am a little confused about these idle tunes. I was under the assumption that the rumble and/or lope tune was the same thing. It sounds as if they are not. I have contacted who I thought were very highly regarded tuners and they all offer a rumble tune and they assure me that the rumble tune just controls the vanes on the turbo so it does no harm to the motor but none mention a lope tune.

#19 ·
#20 ·
Lope= Bad
Rumble= Fine for the motor and sounds like a diesel should IMO
OP what tuner are you thinking of going with?

#27 ·
#32 ·
I want to thank everyone for your replies. I looked into these tunes more and called Kory's and Rob's place of business as well as Motor Ops and they all offer a rumble tune but not a lope tune. While I admit that I don't completely know the difference between the two, I do trust that they would not steer me wrong on that the rumble tune will not hurt the engine. Again thank you very much for your replies and help with this. I have just joined this site and greatly appreciate all of your help.

#33 ·
#34 ·
Tyler,
Thank you very much for the vids. It helps me understand the difference. I appreciate your patience.

#37 ·
Ended up getting the PPEI tuner which is set up with RUMBLE. It sounds amazing and runs great.
Thanks for the info everyone.

#40 ·
I think lopes sound cool on other peoples trucks, no way in hell I'd put it on mine. The rumble tune is neat, this is the first time I've heard of it. There are a few times when my exhaust doesn't sound like a vacuum but sounds like a rumble and I always assumed it was the vanes in the turbo opening then closing.

Quick question on the rumble at idle tunes, does that effect boost at all and does it consume more fuel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.