Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's seems like every time I'm around a quarter of tank or lower I either run out or almost do but my fuel gauge says 1/4 or say some amount of miles to empty? Anyway to fix this and also the miles to empty so I don't run out

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
Check out your cluster. They have a problem on 03-04 model trucks. You may just have a bad stepper motor.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
don't run it down that low? Go by miles travelled.

I have never seen my low fuel light come on but I have put in 25 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I try not to run it that low but i only like to buy fuel from one place and trying to make it there. How do you check stepper?

·
Registered
412 Posts
this has happened to me on two seperate trucks. i was pulling trailers both times, once on a lifted zr2 i had and once on my lifted lb7. the front of the trucks were both lifted higher than the rear. and pulling the trailers made them sag that much more.

the only thing i can assume happened was that the pickup for the tank is near the front of the tank, and possibly the level sending unit is located behind it. i may be way off base here, but this is what happened to me. and i saw you have a leveling kit.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It did it befor leveling kit. Could it be sending unit?

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 04 has this problem. I first thought it was the sending unit but yesterday I ran it down to the 1/4 tank mark and it only took 19 gallons to fill it up. I wasn't far from being out of fuel I don't think. Usually at or around 1/4 tank I am running out. Next time I am low I plan to run it down to 1/4 and drop the tank if I am not busy at work. I am not familiar with GMs setup in the tank but I figure its like Fords and has some sort of rubber hose or something?

As far as the stepper motor the only way I could say to check it is with a scan tool of some sort to monitor the fuel level indicator input to the cluster and see how it compares to the gauge.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
My 04 has this problem. I first thought it was the sending unit but yesterday I ran it down to the 1/4 tank mark and it only took 19 gallons to fill it up. I wasn't far from being out of fuel I don't think. Usually at or around 1/4 tank I am running out. Next time I am low I plan to run it down to 1/4 and drop the tank if I am not busy at work. I am not familiar with GMs setup in the tank but I figure its like Fords and has some sort of rubber hose or something?

As far as the stepper motor the only way I could say to check it is with a scan tool of some sort to monitor the fuel level indicator input to the cluster and see how it compares to the gauge.
1/4 tank and 19 gallons filled is about right. You have about 7 gallons left in the tank if you have a shortbed truck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Right which is why I plan on dropping the tank to figure out why it is running out that high in the tank. I never thought much about it until this last fill up I actually paid attention to how much fuel I put in it. Then I realized it wasn't empty when it was running out.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
i ran mine out the other week cuz my cluster doesnt work at all. put 27 gallons in. luckily the FASS saved me in pumping it up. but when it did work it was like that too, i could go maybe 75 miles at 1/4 before the light would come on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts