Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could I have done wrong? What did I maybe miss? After replacing the injectors, I am now running 187 to 194 under normal driving conditions, high 190s to 240s when towing, per my edge tuner.

Water pump was replaced 10,000 miles ago so radiator was cleaned and flushed at that time. This all started immediately after replacing the injectors.

Wondering what I could have missed.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Theres a lot of variables in those temps. My truck runs 189 all day long unless its 30 degrees outside. 240 maybe expected if you are towing a 44' 5er up a grade and its 120 degrees outside.
Your normal driving temps are pretty normal to what ive seen the last 200,000miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s interesting. It’s about 10-15 higher than before I did the injectors, for daily driving.
Only pulling 7k lbs and it was maybe 90 deg. It only hit that temp once, rest of time was maxing at 230.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The towing is a bit hot. The running temp with everyday driving, isnt bad at all. I pull a 7000 lbs boat from SoCal to Lake Mead and i never hit 200 and it was 115 outside. But yeah 230 is high. Do you have an OBDII reader or EDGE to read from there or are you?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are all readings from my Edge. We rarely got above 210 when towing this summer before changing out the injectors. Some major grades at 100+ deg, that’s why I’m so concerned

·
Administrator
1,037 Posts
The towing is a bit hot. The running temp with everyday driving, isnt bad at all. I pull a 7000 lbs boat from SoCal to Lake Mead and i never hit 200 and it was 115 outside. But yeah 230 is high. Do you have an OBDII reader or EDGE to read from there or are you?
My 2006 runs 200 on flat ground with my 7,000 camper on the back. Might hit 210-215 on a decent Michigan grade. I’ve found my temps to be pretty normal when comparing them to other Duramaxes.

To the OP,

The only thing you could have done to the cooling system was not burp the air out of it or create a leak of coolant into the cylinder from an injector sleeve , when changing the injectors. Both of which, you would have known about right away.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the help. Couldn’t think of any reason why other than maybe the injectors were so bad that the engine wasn’t running as warm as it would have usually???

·
Administrator
1,037 Posts
Appreciate the help. Couldn’t think of any reason why other than maybe the injectors were so bad that the engine wasn’t running as warm as it would have usually???
Right. Minus an actual cooling system issue, new injectors would have to change the tune of the engine in a manner to change the coolant temp itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That’s interesting. It’s about 10-15 higher than before I did the injectors, for daily driving.
Only pulling 7k lbs and it was maybe 90 deg. It only hit that temp once, rest of time was maxing at 230.
Did you have the cooling system open, could be it has air in the cooling system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you have the cooling system open, could be it has air in the cooling system.
yeah, drained the coolant when I did it. Wouldn’t that work it’s way out over time? Or do I need to bleed it out? Isn’t there a bleed valve on these?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts